5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't remove one hex head screw to install mud flap

hoppy

Reaction score
I've installed Weathertech no-drill mud flaps on my 2021 Limited. But for the last one there was one hex head screw that wouldn't come out. It just spins. I've tried gripping it with vise grips to pull as I turn it and pried behind it at the same time, but nothing. Don't know what to do next. Anyone have this experience?

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
sounds like there is a nut on the other side that is just turning with the screw. Might have to cut the screw head off, and go with a self tapping type screw to replace it. If you can re tighten it, then try to hit it with a cordless screw gun set on high, and hope it spins it out. Good luck.

hoppy

Reaction score
sounds like there is a nut on the other side that is just turning with the screw. Might have to cut the screw head off, and go with a self tapping type screw to replace it. If you can re tighten it, then try to hit it with a cordless screw gun set on high, and hope it spins it out. Good luck.
Thank you, OldMarine, and thank you for your service. I'll try that tomorrow. I'm not sure I can get it tight again. So maybe if I can get the head cut off I can force the remaining screw shank to fall in and out of the way for another screw. I'll follow up.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you, OldMarine, and thank you for your service. I'll try that tomorrow. I'm not sure I can get it tight again. So maybe if I can get the head cut off I can force the remaining screw shank to fall in and out of the way for another screw. I'll follow up.
Your welcome, and most likely you will wind up cutting the screw head off. If you use a cut off wheel put masking tape around the area of the screw to protect any painted area.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
I've installed Weathertech no-drill mud flaps on my 2021 Limited. But for the last one there was one hex head screw that wouldn't come out. It just spins. I've tried gripping it with vise grips to pull as I turn it and pried behind it at the same time, but nothing. Don't know what to do next. Anyone have this experience?
Is this on the front or rear mud guard? There are clips attached to the fenders that the screws go through; sometimes the ears that hold the screw threads cut into the screws when they are installed forming a groove in the screw threads preventing it from backing out. It's not common, but when it happens, and pulling when turning doesnt work, the only thing to do is try and access it from behind (which is easier on the rear fenders), or cut the head off and screw it through with needle nose pliers and a small punch when its flush with the clip.

hoppy

Reaction score
Is this on the front or rear mud guard? There are clips attached to the fenders that the screws go through; sometimes the ears that hold the screw threads cut into the screws when they are installed forming a groove in the screw threads preventing it from backing out. It's not common, but when it happens, and pulling when turning doesnt work, the only thing to do is try and access it from behind (which is easier on the rear fenders), or cut the head off and screw it through with needle nose pliers and a small punch when its flush with the clip.
Thank you, Big White RAM and also OldMarine. It's in the front and I couldn't find a way to get access behind it. So I'll try your methods tomorrow.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you can try to slide a small screw driver under the hex head while trying to spin the hex head. It sounds like the threads aren't engaged into the speed clip, by sliding the the blade of screwdriver and prying out while turning the hex head it should help engage the threads. Same thing happened to me last weekend when removing the hex head on my fender flares.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

hoppy

Reaction score
If you can try to slide a small screw driver under the hex head while trying to spin the hex head. It sounds like the threads aren't engaged into the speed clip, by sliding the the blade of screwdriver and prying out while turning the hex head it should help engage the threads. Same thing happened to me last weekend when removing the hex head on my fender flares.

Thank you, dts828. I tried using a small forked pry bar while I turned the head. No matter how hard I pried the threads wouldn't turn in the clip.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you, dts828. I tried using a small forked pry bar while I turned the head. No matter how hard I pried the threads wouldn't turn in the clip.
That stinks, it took me a bit to get my one screw off. I had to use my drilll/driver to get enough speed to get it going.

hoppy

Reaction score
I got it! Thank you to all who helped. Cordless driver spinning the head at high speed while prying and rocking the pry bar from behind finally backed the screw out. Really appreciate the help.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I had the same thing when I went to do mine. Ended up having the dealer take care of it while I was there - screw was stripped. They couldn't fund the right sized replacement screw - so I'm missing one.

Meh...

Rick

hoppy

Reaction score
I had the same thing when I went to do mine. Ended up having the dealer take care of it while I was there - screw was stripped. They couldn't fund the right sized replacement screw - so I'm missing one.

Meh...

Rick
I found a self tapping screw and washer to replace it. That seemed to work well.

nburd

Reaction score
Be sure to spray some anti corrosion in the hole and around the back of the clip/fender in case the screw or nut scratched the paint/primer off while spinning. Fluid film, corrosion x , or any type of anti corrosion spray. I am glad you got it out.

My sons 2020 warlock had issues installing the drivers front mud flap, the factory missed the back three clips on the Lower fender liner and screwed through the black plastic until they stripped. That was about a thrilling to fix as yours. We had to pry the fender liner out, realign the clips and install the mud flap. A 5 min job took 1.5 hours.

hoppy

Reaction score
Be sure to spray some anti corrosion in the hole and around the back of the clip/fender in case the screw or nut scratched the paint/primer off while spinning. Fluid film, corrosion x , or any type of anti corrosion spray. I am glad you got it out.

My sons 2020 warlock had issues installing the drivers front mud flap, the factory missed the back three clips on the Lower fender liner and screwed through the black plastic until they stripped. That was about a thrilling to fix as yours. We had to pry the fender liner out, realign the clips and install the mud flap. A 5 min job took 1.5 hours.
Thank you, nburd. I hadn't thought about anti corrosion spray. I'll be sure to do that.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is one life hack that helped me in a similar situation. Insert a small blade and a screwdriver under the bolt head, turning the fastener.
Are you a bot?

Users who are viewing this thread