5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot fine level 2

MontFla

Reaction score
Thank you
Again I searched many of the vehicles that came up!! I found one across the country with level 2 that has blind spot and cross path! Thanks many come up as level B and that has it deleted. I did within 100 miles of my home and there just aren’t any. Dave Smith in Kellogg Idaho has none. They are the world’s largest ram dealership. I appreciate your help. I have the word out at several dealerships to let me know if the unicorn comes in and I will purchase it provided I am given a fair price in today’s market

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I am hesitant about the air suspension or would pull the trigger on a limited
What are your concerns about the air suspension? There were known issues with it on 4th gens. The 5th gen Ram 1500 is in its 4th year of production, and there really haven't been the same issues people had with the 4th gens. Both my wife and I have it on our trucks, and we love it. If I ever need to repair it after the warranty expires I'll probably just convert to coil springs.
My active air dam went out on my 2019 and I lost 2to 3 mpg
That seems a little high. I saw less than a 1 mpg difference after removing mine last summer. Same with the wife's truck. Not saying you're wrong though. The difference probably has a lot to do with the speeds we're driving. We don't have any highways around here that have speed limits higher than 60 mph. And many of them are 50 or 55 mph. I'd probably see more of a difference if I did a lot of driving on the interstate.

MontFla

Reaction score
That number seems high. That said, if you lost 2-3 mpg when your active air dam went out in your 2019, why is the Longhorn with active air dam a deal breaker?
I do not want active air dam. To dam low and just do not want to deal with it

MontFla

Reaction score
Ready to trade in the bighorn. I want leather seats and have learned to like the blind spot monitor on my last platinum Ford Edge and the CRV. It is useful on US1 in Florida with all the small sports cars and cycles. And who doesn’t want 19 speakers lol

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I do not want active air dam. To dam low and just do not want to deal with it
Like someone else said, it's just 4 bolts and it's off. It only drops down at speeds over 35 mph, so really never comes into play as far as ground clearance. Kind of cutting off your nose to spite your face passing up a perfect Longhorn because it has the active air dam.

MontFla

Reaction score
Will look into it. Also the longhorn has stuff I do not need. Really just want a Laramie with level 2 or B or whatever they are calling it today. Upgraded stereo and ventilated seats! The unicorn will find me

MontFla

Reaction score
These times are challenging In the past you just went to your favorite dealer and bought a truck.

MontFla

Reaction score
I like the Ram but am not totally loyal. I looked at a lariat and on them they deleted the start stop technology but still have the battery for it installed. So I passed on it. I like the ram ride better. Never owned the air suspension and wonder if it will ride as good as coil suspension?

MontFla

Reaction score
And waiting around for 10 years knowing it will eventually fail??? Next truck I will keep at high mileage as extra vehicle so that steers me away from Air suspension

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I like the Ram but am not totally loyal. I looked at a lariat and on them they deleted the start stop technology but still have the battery for it installed. So I passed on it. I like the ram ride better. Never owned the air suspension and wonder if it will ride as good as coil suspension?
You can find lots of reviews on the Ram air suspension pretty easily on YouTube. My neighbor across the street has a Limited and it does ride better than my Laramie. It's not night and day better, but it is better.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If anything, the ride with air suspension is superior to coil suspension. My current Limited is more comfortable than the Laramie I traded in for it, which had coil springs. The usual reason people don't want air suspension is because they don't trust it and are worried about it failing. But ride comfort has never been the reason people don't get it. You won't be disappointed with the ride if you decide to get it.

MontFla

Reaction score
If anything, the ride with air suspension is superior to coil suspension. My current Limited is more comfortable than the Laramie I traded in for it, which had coil springs. The usual reason people don't want air suspension is because they don't trust it and are worried about it failing. But ride comfort has never been the reason people don't get it. You won't be disappointed with the ride if you decide to get it.
Thanks for the input! I appreciate it

MontFla

Reaction score
Being that at 80k miles I will retire the next truck as an extra vehicle for company and the one the dogs get to trash. I think I will avoid air suspension and the worry about it failing at higher mileage. If this were going to be a truck I would eventually trade in I would not hesitate but it will be one I want to keep. I am sure the air suspension is good for most but it cannot possibly be as fail proof as coil suspension.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Being that at 80k miles I will retire the next truck as an extra vehicle for company and the one the dogs get to trash. I think I will avoid air suspension and the worry about it failing at higher mileage. If this were going to be a truck I would eventually trade in I would not hesitate but it will be one I want to keep. I am sure the air suspension is good for most but it cannot possibly be as fail proof as coil suspension.
Oh, there's no doubt that a coil suspension system is going to last longer. All air suspension systems will have issues eventually. The cost of repair depends on what fails of course. My plan is to keep my truck for the long term. It may even be the last new truck I buy as I'm a couple years from retirement. And I probably won't be driving it a whole lot of miles after that. But I get why you would want to go with coils. (y)

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I did not get an air suspension because I was doing a lift. I know BDS makes a lift for it but mods to it can be sketchy. It I were leaving it stock or even just leveling I would have jumped on the air suspension.

As far as longevity, I guess it depends on how hard you work it. My 2004 Town Car with 110k miles has the original air suspension going strong.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I did not get an air suspension because I was doing a lift. I know BDS makes a lift for it but mods to it can be sketchy. It I were leaving it stock or even just leveling I would have jumped on the air suspension.

As far as longevity, I guess it depends on how hard you work it. My 2004 Town Car with 110k miles has the original air suspension going strong.
I upgraded my front suspension links to almost level it out. The only issue now is I need to avoid trying to go into OR2. I think it lifted the front by almost 2 inches. Definitely looks better to me now. I have no plans to lift this truck. She's a highway queen and stays mostly on the tarmac.

Users who are viewing this thread