5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CANBUS & hyper-flash turn signal(s)

Reaction score
I‘ve got a question regarding the canbus system and hyper flashing turn signal on the passenger side mirror.

So last year I installed some turn signal/step lights for my side steps.. When the doors open the lights turn on shinning white leds on the side steps. The wire for the step lights is wired into the lights in my bed. They work fine never had a problem.

Now the turn signal lights are wired into the taillights, I just spliced into the ground and turn signal wire. When I first installed them a few times I was getting hyper flash but then it went away on it’s own. Until a few days ago when this happened again, about 1 year later.

What was common between both those times is that I left the turn signals for an extended period of time. Today, I disconnected the battery and touched the cables together to do a hard reset. This worked and everything was normal. I turned the signal on, walked around the truck everything was fine all lights working and no hyper flash and then when I got back into the truck it started to hyper flash again. I did the reset again and played with the signal a few times leaving it on for a normal period of time and it worked no problem.

What do you think would cause the system to hyper-flash, when the turn signals are left on for an extended period of time but doesn’t happen they are are used normally? Is there a voltage spike in the system when they turn signals are left on to long? I mean as long as I don’t leave them on for a long time they are fine. When the 4-ways are left on for a long time I never have a problem with hyper-flash, only when they are used as left and right only with the signal switch.

Also while I am on the subject, when the doors are open and the white light is on if the turn signals are on the lights pulse. The white light goes bright/dim only when signal is on. Is this a voltage issue or would it just happened anyhow because running lights and turn signals are both trying to run?

Just curious as to why the hyper flash happens when they are left on extended.

I understand the system causes hyper flash if trying to put LEDS in a halogen system or if you don’t have canbus LEDS. But this truck is already all LED and I was just installed LED turn signals. I didn’t think I would have any problems with them.

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
I believe they do that when they detect a load issue (too much draw or not enough).

Might be able to fix it with a programmer

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Yeah it just happened again today.

I'm going to unplug the light and see if it goes away.

If it does I believe at that point I need to add a resistor or reprogram which I don't want to do.

I might just unplug them if it solves the problem. I only got the lights for the white light for the steps. The turn signals and running lights were just s bonus. But I would like to keep them if it doesn't to much.

Funny thing is the drivers side is completely fine.

I got the led lights from OPT7

Reaction score
Well I disconnect the lights and I'm still getting hyperflash.

The only light still connect is my tailgate light bar which shouldn't matter because it's connect to the 7way plug.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
So I disconnected all the lights I added tailgate light bar which is connected with a 4pin plug into a 7pin connector behind the bumper via a Y splitter. I disconnect my side step lights (turns and white "puddle" light).

I've done a few hard resets (disconnect battery and touch them together to drain all power) and still it works for a little whole and reverts back to hyper flash.

What's weird is, I don't have any issues on the drivers side just the passengers. For whatever reason just the mirror light is hyper flashing.

I didn't think I'd have an canbus system issue has everything stock and aftermarket is LED. It's not like I installed LED into halogen places.

I have leds in the CHMSL which have been in for a long time and are canbus LEDs. Not to mention I don't think those lights having anything to with the turn signal park of the system.

Any ideas?

Looks like a trip to the dealership. I hope they don't try to weasel out of warranty and say it's my aftermarket lights causing this. Because if it was shouldn't it be on both sides acting up.

Users who are viewing this thread