5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you feel the regenerative braking doing its thing?

Jake1050

Reaction score
I've noticed that under light braking there is a non linear feeling in the deceleration. It seems like slight changes in brake pedal pressure brings an uneven feeling of deceleration. I think this is the regenerative braking kicking in and out. Has anyone else noticed this? It's not distracting or a problem but I can't imagine a ram without the etorque system having this kind of uneven brake feel.
I wish there was a light on the dash to indicate maximum regen braking so I can try to stay in it longer (for more energy capture and less brake pad wear).

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Edit: I was unclear as to whether or not you had etorque at first.

First off, you have to have an etorque in order to have Regenerative anything.
If you do,
Regenerative braking is a marketing term. It should be called Regenerative Deceleration.
It has nothing, I shouldn't say nothing to do with the the actual brakes other than when you brake you are decelerating.
Upon deceleration or braking the 48 volt motor becomes a generator and puts a little juice back into the 48 volt battery pack.
So if you have a pulsing in your pedal you need to keep looking.

Last edited:

Geddyflea

Reaction score
I've noticed that under light braking there is a non linear feeling in the deceleration. It seems like slight changes in brake pedal pressure brings an uneven feeling of deceleration. I think this is the regenerative braking kicking in and out. Has anyone else noticed this? It's not distracting or a problem but I can't imagine a ram without the etorque system having this kind of uneven brake feel.
I wish there was a light on the dash to indicate maximum regen braking so I can try to stay in it longer (for more energy capture and less brake pad wear).
Yep. Mine does the exact same thing. You kind of have to feather the brake pedal while stopping if using light brake pressure. If using medium pressure it's fine.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. Mine does the exact same thing. You kind of have to feather the brake pedal while stopping if using light brake pressure. If using medium pressure it's fine.
Read above. Regenerative has nothing to do with brakes.
If it is somehow the regenerative process it's coming from motor
pulsation of the generator putting kind of a back pressure on the motor.
I've never felt anything.
Is it raining or wet out when you feel this?

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
There is definitely a different feel to it. Slow driving around town is where i sense it the most. Its no biggie, just takes a little getting used to.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is definitely a different feel to it. Slow driving around town is where i sense it the most. Its no biggie, just takes a little getting used to.
Yes you are feeling drag from the motor.
If you watch this video, at 6:30 into the video he explains the regenerative process and how there is extra drag by the motor upon deceleration. He even points out that it can be felt. I just didn't want a bunch of guys Terring into their brakes.
The whole video is good.

Geddyflea

Reaction score
Read above. Regenerative has nothing to do with brakes.
If it is somehow the regenerative process it's coming from motor
pulsation of the generator putting kind of a back pressure on the motor.
I've never felt anything.
Is it raining or wet out when you feel this?
It's not a pulse through the brakes, it's more of a non-linear transition from movement before you come to a full stop. The best way I can describe it is it feels like the brakes are grabbing at about 5 to 10 mph, but only on a slow stop. If I don't "feather" the brakes I'll either ***-end the car in front of me or stop a mile and a half behind it.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's not a pulse through the brakes, it's more of a non-linear transition from movement before you come to a full stop. The best way I can describe it is it feels like the brakes are grabbing at about 5 to 10 mph, but only on a slow stop. If I don't "feather" the brakes I'll either ***-end the car in front of me or stop a mile and a half behind it.
What I notice is it's really hard to come to a "smooth" stop with the system engaged. The motor does cut off quite abruptly.
Next time I'm out I'll try to pay more attention to what's going on.

dajogejr

Reaction score
Zero issue with mine, now that I’m used to it. But going from my Wife’s GC to my truck, it’s a relearning process.
Gotten used to it and I feel it’s saving brakes/brake pad/overall wear.

I’ve had zero issues with my eTorque. And I suppose if I do, I’ll be here griping about it.. lol.

I have noticed it’ll shut of at 2-3 MPH coming to a stop. I”m sure there’s an “engineer’s reason” for that… but it does take getting used to coming to a smooth stop.
I’m good with it.

It’s an adjustment. You like it or you don’t. Doesn’t bother me.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have noticed it’ll shut of at 2-3 MPH coming to a stop. I”m sure there’s an “engineer’s reason” for that… but it does take getting used to coming to a smooth stop.
I’m good with it.

It’s an adjustment. You like it or you don’t. Doesn’t bother me.
That is due to newer firmware. The see ones would not shut off until stopped. I don't mind it shutting off when I am coming to a stop, as long as I am really stopping which is had no idea. It's the best a system like this can still be, but still dumb and I keep mine disabled 2 ways.

cerbo

Reaction score
I keep the auto/stop button OFF so I don t know about when it shuts but as far as braking "to me" it just feels like a transmission shift to a lower gear which slows the truck a little more. Doesn t bother me at all. Pedal is smooth.

vtcats

Reaction score
That is due to newer firmware. The see ones would not shut off until stopped. I don't mind it shutting off when I am coming to a stop, as long as I am really stopping which is had no idea. It's the best a system like this can still be, but still dumb and I keep mine disabled 2 ways.
How/why do you keep it disabled (in two ways)? I don’t care for the auto start/stop despite what he says (in the video) and mine is default off. I also manually disable the MDS by using the gear limiter, but wasn’t sure of why or how you’d turn the Regen breaking off

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
How/why do you keep it disabled (in two ways)? I don’t care for the auto start/stop despite what he says (in the video) and mine is default off. I also manually disable the MDS by using the gear limiter, but wasn’t sure of why or how you’d turn the Regen breaking off
I don't stop in traffic that turning the engine off for 15 seconds would make a difference.
I have a tune which attempts to keep the button's state set to disabled (typically when going over 15 mph it will re-disable) and the Auto Start-Stop Eliminator cable which gives the button memory, so if I turn it off it stays off unless I turn it on.
Auto start\stop always defaults to on, not off unless you have something else installed in your truck.

You can't turn off the regen breaking unfortunately, which for someone like me sucks because I don't get the mpg benefits of start\stop but it keeps overcharging the Lithium battery in back creating more drag.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've not noticed any braking difference from my last 3 Rams without eTorque. Definitely not something that is surging or non-linear.

I have noticed the auto stop will shut the engine down right before it comes to a complete stop. Not a big deal. It just leave a little more room between me and the vehicle in front of me and it's something I've become accustomed to.

vtcats

Reaction score
I don't stop in traffic that turning the engine off for 15 seconds would make a difference.
I have a tune which attempts to keep the button's state set to disabled (typically when going over 15 mph it will re-disable) and the Auto Start-Stop Eliminator cable which gives the button memory, so if I turn it off it stays off unless I turn it on.
Auto start\stop always defaults to on, not off unless you have something else installed in your truck.

You can't turn off the regen breaking unfortunately, which for someone like me sucks because I don't get the mpg benefits of start\stop but it keeps overcharging the Lithium battery in back creating more drag.
Ahh, interesting. I use a 4dtech device. Used it in another vehicle for a few years and it works great. Not sure what is on or off, but when you start your vehicle the light comes on (meaning the start stop is off). I can push the button to turn back on if I want to use it (which I don’t). The device plugs in (I think it was a 12 pin connector and then you plug what was there into this piece. There’s a good YouTube video on it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ahh, interesting. I use a 4dtech device. Used it in another vehicle for a few years and it works great. Not sure what is on or off, but when you start your vehicle the light comes on (meaning the start stop is off). I can push the button to turn back on if I want to use it (which I don’t). The device plugs in (I think it was a 12 pin connector and then you plug what was there into this piece. There’s a good YouTube video on it.
Is it like this one I have? 2019-2024 Ram 1500 Autostop Eliminator

Edit: looks like the same thing Ram (19-24') Start / Stop Eliminator

vtcats

Reaction score

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I thought in order to NOT overcharge, it ran fans/other accessories when the 48v pack is charged.
Overcharge was not the correct term I should of used.
What I am referring to is it will still regen break even if the battery is as a good state of charge.
I don't suspect it is damaging the 48V battery by doing so just creating drag on the truck as soon as you let off the accelerator.

dajogejr

Reaction score
Overcharge was not the correct term I should of used.
What I am referring to is it will still regen break even if the battery is as a good state of charge.
I don't suspect it is damaging the 48V battery by doing so just creating drag on the truck as soon as you let off the accelerator.
Heard. I don’t feel a drag unless I’m city speeds coming to a stop light/stop sign
On the freeway, I’ve yet to feel/notice the regen letting off the gas.

Users who are viewing this thread