5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you disable the tailgate release button?

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I frequently leave my work equipment (survey level, tripod, etc) in the bed underneath my Diamondback. I've been thinking about the possibility of someone breaking into my truck. With my Ravelco, it's hard to steal, but with the tailgate release button in the overhead console, they could pop the tailgate and root take whatever's in the bed. Does anyone know if there's a way to disable the remote tailgate release while the truck is off? I don't think there is, but thought I'd ask the group. Thanks in advance.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
well for the remote(fob)i dont know,

but i dought the overhead console button works when the truck is off without having the key fob nearby, but to be honnest i never had the chance to test it yet

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
well for the remote(fob)i dont know,

but i dought the overhead console button works when the truck is off without having the key fob nearby, but to be honnest i never had the chance to test it yet
I tested that this morning and the overhead button operates like your door lock/unlock buttons. It works without the enginer running and without the fob nearby.

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Could probably use a relay with the ignition as a trigger that would interrupt the signal wire at the switch. Wire it so the wire is open when ign is off and closed when ign is on

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update: I got the chance to field test the tailgate release button during an alarm event. I used the fob key to unlock the driver's door and opened it to trigger the alarm. I tried the overhead tailgate release button once the alarm was triggered and it doesn't work. That satisfies part of my fear that everything in the bed is at risk of theft. It doesn't do anything for the possibility of someone cloning your fob though. At that point I'd be S.O.L.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Update: I got the chance to field test the tailgate release button during an alarm event. I used the fob key to unlock the driver's door and opened it to trigger the alarm. I tried the overhead tailgate release button once the alarm was triggered and it doesn't work. That satisfies part of my fear that everything in the bed is at risk of theft. It doesn't do anything for the possibility of someone cloning your fob though. At that point I'd be S.O.L.
Forgive my ignorance, but what's stopping them from just unlocking the doors and opening the tailgate by hand?
If they can get to your tailgate release button, they are already inside your truck???

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but what's stopping them from just unlocking the doors and opening the tailgate by hand?
If they can get to your tailgate release button, they are already inside your truck???
Just like the overhead tailgate release button, when the alarm is triggered, the door lock/unlock button does not function.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Most people breaking into and/or stealing Rams arebt doing smash and grabs that would trigger alarm.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How are they getting in without triggering the alarm? Fob cloning? Or some other method?
Fob cloning most of the time for stolen vehicles. Can't say I've heard of many "break in". Usually just stolen trucks. But even then, if they break the window and hit the unlock button inside vehicle I think it turns off alarm.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fob cloning most of the time for stolen vehicles. Can't say I've heard of many "break in". Usually just stolen trucks. But even then, if they break the window and hit the unlock button inside vehicle I think it turns off alarm.
dont know for the 5th gen but in my 2014 i had before , during summer i left my windows down, for some reason i locked the doors and left the key inside the house... later that day i wanted something in the truck so i reach inside true the window opening and i open up the door ( dont remember if i unlock from interior button and open from outside or just open from inside handle) and that triggered the alarm

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
dont know for the 5th gen but in my 2014 i had before , during summer i left my windows down, for some reason i locked the doors and left the key inside the house... later that day i wanted something in the truck so i reach inside true the window opening and i open up the door ( dont remember if i unlock from interior button and open from outside or just open from inside handle) and that triggered the alarm
If you just pull on interior handle it will definitely trigger alarm.

Users who are viewing this thread