5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you balance a wheel and tire if it has no air??.

Chuck19

Reaction score
Just received a set of wheels and tires that I bought online. I was unpacking them and one of the tires has no air but it has weights on the wheel like it was balanced. So does this mean they forgot to air it up or did it lose air? I mean it’s totally flat. Can you even balance a tire with out being aired up? The whole buying experience this time with Mr. wheel deal has not been very good compared to my last experience. They blame Covid for the 2 month delay on getting my wheels but it doesn’t explain the flat tire and the fact they were very dirty from the grease they use to mount the tires on the wheels. Plus I am missing a set of hex screws for the lug covers (n)

KcRay

Reaction score
If the tire is seated against the rim it was aired up to get it that way. Most likely it has lost its air for some reason. Valve core may be loose, maybe valve stem? You could balance a flat tire, if you were so inclined.

Chuck19

Reaction score
If the tire is seated against the rim it was aired up to get it that way. Most likely it has lost its air for some reason. Valve core may be loose, maybe valve stem? You could balance a flat tire, if you were so inclined.
Thanks for the reply. I am going to try and air it up tomorrow and see if it holds air. Hopefully it does

Boston

Reaction score
If it doesn't, then supplier should pay a local shop to remount and balance

jpitz31

Reaction score
You can static balance a rim and tire, without air, But if the tire bead has rotated since being out of air, you more than likely want to seat the tire on the rim and re-balance. But it is far better to take rims and tires to tire shop for a dynamic balance. They spin the rims and tires and mount weights accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread