5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can you add the 360 camera system to the truck

LamboMitch

Reaction score
so i have the night edition laramie. 12 inch screen optioned etc. only thing i wish it did have was the 360 camera. has anyone done it or know if its possible to retrofit it? add a module, mirror caps, front camera, and ??? would love to put it in. thanks!!!

Joshbray

Reaction score
I would love to know how to do this also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derp

Reaction score
I'm taking a different tack on this.

I've enabled the Cargo cam and am going to direct that to a raspi4 the Pi4 will connect to the truck hostpot for internet and bluetooth to the OBD2 I have installed for telemetry.

I'm also adding a vidcap to the pi4 which will take the input from a 360cam/dvr that also records with a shock sense trigger.
The DVR will have a wifi SD adapter to connect the filesystem of the DVR to the pi4 so the pi can upload the video to offsite storage.

So any time I open the cargo cam input, I'll see the 360cam or telemetry info I am pulling for the pi4. I'll also be able to do TaserDT type things via the pi4 through OBD2 like lights, windows, horn, fan cooldown, Line lock (I'll almost certainly never use that).

I'll secure it all by having a VPN tunnel back to my offsite storage. if someone steals my car, I'll have video of it happening, GPS coords of the truck last known, and the ability to disable the truck (until they start trashing stuff like pulling to obd2).

I think it will also do well to keep valet/mechanics held to account on hotdogging.

I'll also be able to screen cast wirelessly from my phone to the pi4 should I want to.

the BOM I have at the moment is:
Alfaobd2 60 (I already have this)

MX+ obd2 99 (Already have this)

Pi4 ~100 (Already have this)

wifi SD ~60 https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Flas...DYNHZZWW188&psc=1&refRID=Q8PE17M0CDYNHZZWW188

DVR - 150 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HSWKP1...olid=34BEGEPUICOVR&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Secondary battery - ( Already have this ) Variable, I went with a 30AH lipo. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H5T9J4L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wiring harness for pi video input (could make it myself, but... I won't.) 25-85 bucks from Taserauto https://www.zautomotive.com/product/radio-t-harness/

Time - LOL WUT? I have kids.

LamboMitch

Reaction score
I'm taking a different tack on this.

I've enabled the Cargo cam and am going to direct that to a raspi4 the Pi4 will connect to the truck hostpot for internet and bluetooth to the OBD2 I have installed for telemetry.

I'm also adding a vidcap to the pi4 which will take the input from a 360cam/dvr that also records with a shock sense trigger.
The DVR will have a wifi SD adapter to connect the filesystem of the DVR to the pi4 so the pi can upload the video to offsite storage.

So any time I open the cargo cam input, I'll see the 360cam or telemetry info I am pulling for the pi4. I'll also be able to do TaserDT type things via the pi4 through OBD2 like lights, windows, horn, fan cooldown, Line lock (I'll almost certainly never use that).

I'll secure it all by having a VPN tunnel back to my offsite storage. if someone steals my car, I'll have video of it happening, GPS coords of the truck last known, and the ability to disable the truck (until they start trashing stuff like pulling to obd2).

I think it will also do well to keep valet/mechanics held to account on hotdogging.

I'll also be able to screen cast wirelessly from my phone to the pi4 should I want to.

the BOM I have at the moment is:
Alfaobd2 60 (I already have this)

MX+ obd2 99 (Already have this)

Pi4 ~100 (Already have this)

wifi SD ~60 https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Flas...DYNHZZWW188&psc=1&refRID=Q8PE17M0CDYNHZZWW188

DVR - 150 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HSWKP1...olid=34BEGEPUICOVR&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Secondary battery - ( Already have this ) Variable, I went with a 30AH lipo. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H5T9J4L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wiring harness for pi video input (could make it myself, but... I won't.) 25-85 bucks from Taserauto https://www.zautomotive.com/product/radio-t-harness/

Time - LOL WUT? I have kids.

thats a lot for all that. cool yes but unless someone has a key gonna be hard to take the truck without a fully licensed dealer computer?

LamboMitch

Reaction score
Hey! Yes it actually has been done. It's in the 12 inch uconnect section of the forum under the 8.4 to 12 uconnect swap. Let me find the link for you

any luck on this been looking myself. hoping its not to bad on it. just cameras and unlocking it from the dealer?

derp

Reaction score
thats a lot for all that. cool yes but unless someone has a key gonna be hard to take the truck without a fully licensed dealer computer?
you have no idea just how easy it is to steal a fob enabled ignition car. all it takes is two directional antenna, two software defined radios , and a rough idea of where your key is from the street.

remember, I don't need to keep starting your truck to steal it, just the one time to get it out of your driveway.
1: listen to the truck beacon/challenge for the fob
2: intercept that and rebroadcast it out stronger to activate the key
3: listen for the one time challenge response from the key that the truck wouldn't hear because the antenna is low gain
4: rebroadcast that response out stronger so the truck hears it.
5: stolen truck.

since the fob doesn't have an off switch, or any indicator that it is being remotely activated for the challenge response, an attacker can keep poking at it until the timing is right and then your truck is owned. then your truck gets driven away and parted.

Xhumeka

Reaction score
Here is a thread that has went quite in-depth on this issue, good luck!

LamboMitch

Reaction score
you have no idea just how easy it is to steal a fob enabled ignition car. all it takes is two directional antenna, two software defined radios , and a rough idea of where your key is from the street.

remember, I don't need to keep starting your truck to steal it, just the one time to get it out of your driveway.
1: listen to the truck beacon/challenge for the fob
2: intercept that and rebroadcast it out stronger to activate the key
3: listen for the one time challenge response from the key that the truck wouldn't hear because the antenna is low gain
4: rebroadcast that response out stronger so the truck hears it.
5: stolen truck.

since the fob doesn't have an off switch, or any indicator that it is being remotely activated for the challenge response, an attacker can keep poking at it until the timing is right and then your truck is owned. then your truck gets driven away and parted.

crazy i guess now a days anything is possible. your absolutely right. anyway to prevent it other than adding another aftermarket alarm?

Xhumeka

Reaction score
crazy i guess now a days anything is possible. your absolutely right. anyway to prevent it other than adding another aftermarket alarm?

There are "faraday" cage/boxes you can buy that block the transmission of the keyfob...

derp

Reaction score
There are "faraday" cage/boxes you can buy that block the transmission of the keyfob...
one of the easiest one of these is simply the anti-static foil bags that PC hard drives come in. it completely envelops the fob and will severely attenuate the signal (pull it down).

JamesS

Reaction score
any luck on this been looking myself. hoping its not to bad on it. just cameras and unlocking it from the dealer?
Im trying to get this 360 camera added. I got the 12" screen programed. I now have the 360 button on my screen. Power folding mirrors with cameras installed.( I got the power fold button working). I just need to figure out all the wiring stuff. Tracing the wiring is a nightmare. I working off the cvpm trying to get that all hooked up.

azzx

Reaction score
Hoping you get this figured out and share it with us.
Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread