5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you add eTorque on after production?

psuds

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just ordered a 2019 Sport in Canada and you can’t get it with eTorque from factory. Does anybody know if you’d be able to get eTorque installed afterward the truck arrives at the dealer?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m sure. These trucks seem to be very plug and play...... finishing with coding/programming.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The bolt on stuff, while wicked expensive, wouldn't be that bad to do, however, the powertrain is programmed differently, and the wiring of the truck is different so that the 48V battery can directly power the accessories. It's a no from me dawg.

klail

Reaction score
I am also thinking of the installation of the regenerative braking system. I am not very mechanical but I don't think that would be too simple.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's how it breaks down:

The components in the eTorque Hemi equipped trucks that are different from the regular Hemi trucks are as follows:
1) The alternator is replaced with the Motor Generator Unit (MGU), also referred to as the Belt Starter / Generator (BSG).
2) There is a 48V briefcase sized battery pack in the rear of the cab behind the seatback, and also includes the voltage regulator and converter.
3) The single serpentine belt accessory drive on the front of the motor now has two belts, the water pump is now driven on its own belt from the crank, the the extra is the belt that the MGU is attached to, and drives the crankshaft pulley as well as the ac compressor. The regular Hemi uses a single belt to drive all the accessories.
4) The associated wiring harnesses.
5) The transmission itself.

Everything else is identical from truck to truck. The "regenerative braking system" is just the MGU adding drag to slow the motor / charge the battery.

Bolting on the crank drive pulley, the MGU, and installing the battery pack is the easy part. Heck, even the trans swap is "easy". It's the wiring harness installation and programming where it gets into factory only capabilities. The number of harnesses and computers that would need to be flashed, replaced, programmed, etc is beyond the scope of my understanding at this point.

Last edited:

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would not be worth it if you could, you would be better off trading for a truck with Etorque but like others have state it doesn't help much with mileage.

SpikeMike

Reaction score
Agree that doing this kind of retrofit would not be worth the trouble. My etorque does not help mpg at all. Just stick with your truck and see what comes out in the next couple of years. I would not be surprised if the etorque system grows in coming years.

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
Wouldn't be worth it IMO ... Math alone makes it a non-starter to add later, even forgetting about the level of trouble. Take that money and add a supercharger!

Users who are viewing this thread