5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you add a steering wheel button?

1scruffynerfherder

Reaction score
As per the image attached (not my pic), there is a blank space on my Rebel steering wheel that I was wondering if it's possible to replace with a button?
It looks like that spot may be used in other models for an option my truck doesn't have but I'm not aware. Any info would be appreciated.
Also how much of a pia would it be to add a button there. I have a Hornblasters train horn kit on the way and I'd like the button to be pretty handy and that seems like a good spot.

horn button.jpg

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As per the image attached (not my pic), there is a blank space on my Rebel steering wheel that I was wondering if it's possible to replace with a button?
It looks like that spot may be used in other models for an option my truck doesn't have but I'm not aware. Any info would be appreciated.
Also how much of a pia would it be to add a button there. I have a Hornblasters train horn kit on the way and I'd like the button to be pretty handy and that seems like a good spot.

View attachment 104272
thats the adaptive cruise control

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As stated, that is where the adaptive cruise control buttons go. That whole piece is one unit so it isn't an empty panel. You might be able to put something there as long as the PCB doesn't extend in that area.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Adding the button is the easy part. The wiring will be more difficult, as you'd need to see if there is an empty circuit on the clock spring to use for the new button. I think you're better off adding it to the dash somewhere.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know if it is the same in the Ram, but in my Charger the adaptive cruise block-off popped right off and the actual switches behind were still present on the wheel. Z-Auto made replacement buttons that looked just like the OEM blank and you could then program the 3 buttons to do a variety of things when used with a Tazer.

Again, not sure if the same would hold true with the Ram. I assume if it could be done, then Z-Auto would already be making replament buttons, but it wouldn't hurt to ask them.

Here's what they make for the Charger (and others)- https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_aux_b/

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't know if it is the same in the Ram, but in my Charger the adaptive cruise block-off popped right off and the actual switches behind were still present on the wheel. Z-Auto made replacement buttons that looked just like the OEM blank and you could then program the 3 buttons to do a variety of things when used with a Tazer.

Again, not sure if the same would hold true with the Ram. I assume if it could be done, then Z-Auto would already be making replament buttons, but it wouldn't hurt to ask them.

Here's what they make for the Charger (and others)- https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_aux_b/
No, not the same. You have to replace the entire panel to get the extra buttons. I added ACC to my truck and it required a new panel.

1scruffynerfherder

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. I might have to suck it up and put a button on the dash in close reach.

Users who are viewing this thread