5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can we use Kirkland Full Synthetic Oil?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Yes, but the real question is did they change anything in the motor? Did the bearings or lifters or valve guides or any contact wear points change? I don't have this answer myself.
Easy way to find out would be to look up the bearings or lifters of the engines in question. I'm certain not going to do it because I don't care enough to waste the time. I use the grade of oil my owners manual recommends which for my 11 and 21 5th gen both say 5/20. It didn't even mention synthetic

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Easy way to find out would be to look up the bearings or lifters of the engines in question. I'm certain not going to do it because I don't care enough to waste the time. I use the grade of oil my owners manual recommends which for my 11 and 21 5th gen both say 5/20. It didn't even mention synthetic
Most 5w-20 is synthetic, or synthetic blend. You have to search to find a conventional 5w-20.

And I doubt anything changed internally in the engine considering the oil is still a 20 weight oil at operating temps. But is a thinner oil when cold so it will pump faster/easier

Hemi_Zach

Reaction score
I went with Kirkland 0w-20 this time cause I got 2 5-quart jugs for like $39 instead of paying the same amount for one jug of other brands. The book recommends 0w-20, so I don't see a reason to deviate.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use the Kirkland in my Ram and in my Jeep. Absolutely no worries.

Users who are viewing this thread