5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can we use Kirkland Full Synthetic Oil?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
There's a few people here that use it. I probably would too if I was a member of costco too

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sure can use it! It's a nice dark honey colored slippery substance. It will slick the bearings just fine.

Your just driving another mass produced made in Mexico motor. It's not a lunar lander. Change the oil regularly and drive it like you stole it. It will last many miles.

sbcncsu

Reaction score
According to the website their 0w20 and 5w20 oils do meet MS-6395.
If you notice, some of the specifications show "Approved" where the Chrysler MS-6395 says "Meets Requirements." This indicates that Stellantis has not approved the Kirkland oil under specification MS-6395.

If you are under warranty, be ready to reference the Mangnuson-Moss warranty act and to take them to arbitration if they deny an internal engine claim like a cam / lifter failure claim.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, these house brand oils (Kirkland, Super Tech, Amazon Basics, etc.) are all produced by Warren Distribution and they've been doing really good engine oils for many many decades. In the testing Project Farm did on YouTube these Warren oils gave the more expensive oils a real fight.

Last edited:

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you notice, some of the specifications show "Approved" where the Chrysler MS-6395 says "Meets Requirements." This indicates that Stellantis has not approved the Kirkland oil under specification MS-6395.

If you are under warranty, be ready to reference the Mangnuson-Moss warranty act and to take them to arbitration if they deny an internal engine claim like a cam / lifter failure claim.
It's probably because Stellantis sells their own brand of oil (Mopar), so they're never going to "approve" another brand. They'll only state that it meets their requirements.

Moosefire66

Reaction score
You can see some testing done here. Although not laboratory environments, he's done similar testing on a ton of oils. If I recall, kirkland was pretty dang good at cold oil flow

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

KevinT

Reaction score
My local Costco stores don't carry 5w20, only the 0w20 or 5w30. It's available on the website, but I'm using Castrol purchased locally. I'm running the Kirkland oil in my GMC without issue. It's Dexos approved, whatever that means, so I can run that without issue.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
My local Costco stores don't carry 5w20, only the 0w20 or 5w30. It's available on the website, but I'm using Castrol purchased locally. I'm running the Kirkland oil in my GMC without issue. It's Dexos approved, whatever that means, so I can run that without issue.
Pssst..... over here..... I'll let you in on a secret 😮. Keep this one under your hat 🤐. You don't want word getting out about it. The 2021 1500 5.7 takes...... 0w-20 oil. Sssshhh! 🤫 Don't let it out! 🤨

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, these house brand oils (Kirkland, Super Tech, Amazon Basics, etc.) are all produced by Warren Distribution and they've been doing really good engine oils for many many decades. In the testing Project Farm did on YouTube these Warren oils gave the more expensive oils a real fight.
Highline/Warren definitely makes them, as well as most parts store brands. Most of the DEF fluid is made by them as well. I did a security camera installation at their location in Council Bluffs, IA, so got to see all the inner workings and different brands they produce.

KevinT

Reaction score
Pssst..... over here..... I'll let you in on a secret 😮. Keep this one under your hat 🤐. You don't want word getting out about it. The 2021 1500 5.7 takes...... 0w-20 oil. Sssshhh! 🤫 Don't let it out! 🤨
Dang it - I owe you a tall pour. I must've gotten one of those old 5.7 Hemis that clearly state 5w20 on the oil fill cap and repeated in the owner's manual. If I can get above 17 mpg average, I might consider an update to my oil preference. Otherwise, I'll stick with the silly owner's manual (page 475).

3.6L says 0w20 for the 2021 model year. I think oil grades are like presidential politics, pick one (red or blue), it doesn't change much.

Scram1500

Reaction score
They dropped the shout out for Pennzoil and Shell, wonder what happened there?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They dropped the shout out for Pennzoil and Shell, wonder what happened there?
Contract with Pennzoil expired. Just like when they witches from Mobil1 in the SRT line to Pennzoil. Better deal somewhere else.

John Galt

Reaction score
I’m sure this has already been covered but both of those are 20 weight oils. The only difference is that 0W flows a little better when it’s very very cold.

the operating temperature of the motor is much higher than the hottest day you’ll ever encounter so “hot” weather is irrelevant. It doesn’t matter if it’s 70 or 110 outside if your motor is operating at 210 degrees. This line of reasoning comes from decades of oil change upselling. The outside weather only matters for intake air temperature and irrelevant to oil.

dropping down to 0W from 5 give the oil a bit more cold range and allows Ram to consolidate all their oils into a single larger buy. 0W used to be a lot more expensive than 5W. That’s no longer true so purchasing smaller quantities of 2 different oils , one of which was cheaper probably doesn’t save FCA enough money to be worth the effort vs the savings of buying 1 oil in larger quantities so the recommendation changed.

Unless you live in Alaska or Northern Canada your motor is unlikely to notice the difference. Once the oil is at operating temperature both of those oils behave the same.

If you’re in the habit of allowing the motor to idle a bit when you start it until the RPMs drop before putting any load on it you’re even less likely to notice any difference.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The recommendation changed after the 2021 model year.

View attachment 160839

View attachment 160840

If you start looking back farther, 5W30 was in the manuals in the past. Then 5W20, then 0W20....with NO changes to the engine whatsoever, only changes to environmental law. Hmmm.....

So there's what works best for the consumer (5W30/5W40) and then there's what works best for the automaker (0W16/0W20). I'm a consumer, so....

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you start looking back farther, 5W30 was in the manuals in the past. Then 5W20, then 0W20....with NO changes to the engine whatsoever, only changes to environmental law. Hmmm.....

So there's what works best for the consumer (5W30/5W40) and then there's what works best for the automaker (0W16/0W20). I'm a consumer, so....
That's not true. 5w-30 was recommended until they added MDS to the Rams. Then when MDS was introduced it switched to 5w-20. The Chargers/Challengers/300s always had MDS with the 5.7l, and 5w-20 was the factory recommended oil from the start of the LX cars.

Users who are viewing this thread