5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can we turn off the RF HUB overnight?

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
has anyone messed with disabling the rf hub overnight? there is a rash of thefts in my town right now, they are targeting Chrysler key-less fob vehicles..so far, they got a 19 Durango, 20 grand Cherokee, 14 grand Cherokee, and a couple chargers..one charger they stole twice..I've a suspicious vehicle outside my house 3 nights in a row, looking with a flashlight..other thefts, we have some footage in a Facebook group, car drives up, pauses, then you see lights flash, doors unlock, someone gets in and simple drives away..they are finding the cars, interior stripped, no wheels a few towns over..makes me sick..I think they are broadcasting the 125khz polling signal to our fobs in the house, and then our fobs unlock the doors for them..I'm keeping my fobs in a metal box, and that might be why they have come back 3 times now trying to get my lights to flash.

other than the club; anyone do anything to avert these criminals?

FishOn

Reaction score
Not that I have done this, but if you installed a kill switch/dead man in the battery circuit, I would think you'd lose power to everything including the RFHUB.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking of a main kill..thats plan b..I was thinking if I were to just pull, like say a BCM fuse, that would probably do it.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dang this sucks to hear. I would buy a 2021 if this happened since I still love the truck and would totally buy it all over again.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The real problem is the Keyfob broadcasting its signal. It is not a normal
Dead RFID key. Keep your fobs in a Farady Pouch when at home. They
can be received up to 300 ft away. I have my extra fob in a Pouch but
i still need to keep my Primary in a pouch at night too.

Malodave

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
So glad I live in a low crime rural area. Plus I park in a locked garage at home. Sorry to hear you're having issues like this. I'd probably go the kill switch route if I was at risk like you are. Have you taken down any license plates of these suspicious vehicles and reported them to your local police?

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm still working on getting license plate, but so far, my footage isn't clear enough..I tried a temp camera hidden at my mailbox post, and got great shot of the car, but its not really a low light camera..I'm going to again with a different type camera.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have that. Holds both my fobs and my wife's fobs along with the keys attached to our main sets. Tested it by putting my keys in the box, then tried to unlock using my door handles, tried to open my tailgate, etc. Couldn't do it with the box right next to the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread