5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can the Ram Power Running Boards be turned off?

Grayfuji

Reaction score
Just curious for those with the factory power running boards can they be switched off? Once I get my truck I will likely know the answer but am curious since I still have 10 plus days until "scheduled delivery" date. Was just thinking... on the occasions when off road or in rough terrain sometimes may be stopped in a position without enough clearance for the running board to fully extend so wondering if it can be switched off or not?

Thanks!

Gray

Mrdlbrowntx

Reaction score
A follow on question. Is there a way to set them to stay deployed versus having them always store once the door is closed? I would sometimes like them to stay out specifically when I washing the truck

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A follow on question. Is there a way to set them to stay deployed versus having them always store once the door is closed? I would sometimes like them to stay out specifically when I washing the truck

I'm looking for this same answer. I swore some people said you could turn off the auto, and then manually deploy so they would stay out. I want to do it for parking lots...

JoeRam

Reaction score
Not sure about turning them off entirely, I have looked and not found that option. As for deploying them for washing and such, using the “Controls” app you can select “ Deploy Step”

Last edited:

Brady_SS

Reaction score
I just tested this at lunch. The steps stayed deployed after I manually deployed them, closed the driver's door, and locked the truck.

Brady_SS

Reaction score
It is under settings on the display. I can't remember off hand which category you need to choose first. I'll have to double check when I am back in my truck.

superbird77

Reaction score
Just a FYI, if you deploy these in a car wash make sure they don't hit the rails as it goes thru the wash. I attempted this and mine got some scratches from hitting the tire guide rails.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would not keep them deployed while driving. They come out much further and lower then a standard step rail so it would be very easy to catch a curb or other object with them.

Brady_SS

Reaction score
I believe even when you manually deploy them, they will auto raise back up when the truck hits a certain MPH (like 5 or 6).

Mrdlbrowntx

Reaction score
I'm looking for this same answer. I swore some people said you could turn off the auto, and then manually deploy so they would stay out. I want to do it for parking lots...
I discovered how to do it. There is a control app, the one you use to turn on your heat or ac for your front seats. On that app in the center of the three columns there is a button to deploy your running boards. You can only do this when the truck is in Neutral or Park. You can't deploy them when you are in Drive or Reverse. If you deploy them in while in Neutral when you shift to Park they will reset back to normal mode since to get to Park you had to go through Reverse first. If you deploy while in Park they will stay deployed even after you turn off the your truck and open and close the door. They will revert back to default mode once you restart your truck and put it in either Reverse or Drive. You can use them to help prevent door dings. If you have air suspension you can also raise your truck one level which raises the running boards along with the truck. Should give you a little extra protection for people who don't pay attention when they open their doors. Tried to see if I could raise the truck to the highest position but it won't let me do that, I suspect the truck needs to be in 4WL for that to work.

JoeRam

Reaction score
Exactly. The deploy can not be disabled, it can only be deployed or retracted but NOT Disabled

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yes you can turn off the Boards in settings and you can deploy or Retract from the your screen in settings as well with the push of the button.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I discovered how to do it. There is a control app, the one you use to turn on your heat or ac for your front seats. On that app in the center of the three columns there is a button to deploy your running boards. You can only do this when the truck is in Neutral or Park. You can't deploy them when you are in Drive or Reverse. If you deploy them in while in Neutral when you shift to Park they will reset back to normal mode since to get to Park you had to go through Reverse first. If you deploy while in Park they will stay deployed even after you turn off the your truck and open and close the door. They will revert back to default mode once you restart your truck and put it in either Reverse or Drive. You can use them to help prevent door dings. If you have air suspension you can also raise your truck one level which raises the running boards along with the truck. Should give you a little extra protection for people who don't pay attention when they open their doors. Tried to see if I could raise the truck to the highest position but it won't let me do that, I suspect the truck needs to be in 4WL for that to work.
Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are the best option on the 2019 I like the best! Awesome boards for sure and tucked away for no damage while driving. If you dont want deployed just turn them off in setting if you want to stay put under the truck! :)

David5.7

Reaction score
Has any one had the problem of the board deploying by them self it has happen to me 2 times now I get in my truck trun it up I hear them come up then as I'm driving away I hear them open and then then close back up again I think it's only been 2 times but I saw one of the reviews for the 2019 ram on YouTube don't remember witch one that some like that happen to them that one of the steps deployed while driving on an off road test on got damaged. Just wanted to know if it has happen to anyone else?

Users who are viewing this thread