5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can the Ram Power Running Boards be turned off?

amr15

Reaction score
Has any one had the problem of the board deploying by them self it has happen to me 2 times now I get in my truck trun it up I hear them come up then as I'm driving away I hear them open and then then close back up again I think it's only been 2 times but I saw one of the reviews for the 2019 ram on YouTube don't remember witch one that some like that happen to them that one of the steps deployed while driving on an off road test on got damaged. Just wanted to know if it has happen to anyone else?

I have had this happen a few times now. I will be asking for them to be inspected at first oil change as it's happened more than twice for me.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I discovered how to do it. There is a control app, the one you use to turn on your heat or ac for your front seats. On that app in the center of the three columns there is a button to deploy your running boards. You can only do this when the truck is in Neutral or Park. You can't deploy them when you are in Drive or Reverse. If you deploy them in while in Neutral when you shift to Park they will reset back to normal mode since to get to Park you had to go through Reverse first. If you deploy while in Park they will stay deployed even after you turn off the your truck and open and close the door. They will revert back to default mode once you restart your truck and put it in either Reverse or Drive. You can use them to help prevent door dings. If you have air suspension you can also raise your truck one level which raises the running boards along with the truck. Should give you a little extra protection for people who don't pay attention when they open their doors. Tried to see if I could raise the truck to the highest position but it won't let me do that, I suspect the truck needs to be in 4WL for that to work.

I think you can reach off road 2 position from two wheel drive and park as such too.

jgospoda

Reaction score
Thanks for this post, I couldn't find the settings. It was all working, but stopped after a service call at the local. Cheers!

Diesel Buffalo

Reaction score
Newby to the site, but have a similar question. Bought a used 2020 Laramie with these boards. Worked fine for first month. Now when I get out, close door, ext lights go off after about 10 seconds, steps retract, and then extend back out immediately. Like some safety switch moves them back to deployed position. Any ideas short of taking to dealer for a weeks' wait? Thanks

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As a safety thing if they "feel" resistance when retracting, they stop and go back out. It's anti pinch type protection. Look under the steps/truck and look at the hinges and clean any debris, dirt rocks whatever that may be in there. The motor is at the rear by the rear hinge. Check there too. If grass or weeds or whatever gets in there it will do the same.

Also check and see if the steps are bent or skewed.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A follow on question. Is there a way to set them to stay deployed versus having them always store once the door is closed? I would sometimes like them to stay out specifically when I washing the truck

When I wash my truck I just crack open one of the doors and spray it off. I don't like fussing with all of the menus.

You can simply open a door, step on the rail, and close the door. Anti-pinch will keep them deployed until the door is opened/closed again. Works the same in opposite if you stick your shin in the way.

Users who are viewing this thread