5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can splicing into reverse light power void warranty?

keanezheng

Reaction score
I bought some LED tailgate light strip and a cargo light strip for the bed. Both would require some power from the wiring, either the tail light or the light on the top. Would splicing into these wiring void warranty?

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought some LED tailgate light strip and a cargo light strip for the bed. Both would require some power from the wiring, either the tail light or the light on the top. Would splicing into these wiring void warranty?

If you’re an auto enthusiast, chances are, you’ve heard the myth that modding your ride with aftermarket accessories automatically cancels your warranty. While this may be true in certain circumstances, you shouldn’t take this as an absolute. According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty of your vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part was the cause of or contributed to the failure of the vehicle (15 U.S.C. 2302 (C)). This means that a vehicle's warranty cannot be "voided;" the dealer can only deny a claim if the stock part failed due to damage or unreasonable use.

keanezheng

Reaction score
If you’re an auto enthusiast, chances are, you’ve heard the myth that modding your ride with aftermarket accessories automatically cancels your warranty. While this may be true in certain circumstances, you shouldn’t take this as an absolute. According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty of your vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part was the cause of or contributed to the failure of the vehicle (15 U.S.C. 2302 (C)). This means that a vehicle's warranty cannot be "voided;" the dealer can only deny a claim if the stock part failed due to damage or unreasonable use.

Right I have heard about that law.
Just wanna play safe, does the following wire harness make the installation easier and safer ( safer in terms of warranty claims)? Seems like customers claimed they dont need to cut into OEM wiring this way.

RJS

Reaction score
Just wanna play safe, does the following wire harness make the installation easier and safer ( safer in terms of warranty claims)? Seems like customers claimed they dont need to cut into OEM wiring this way.
I used that adapter to put 12v into my bed. You will need to change a couple of the wires to different wires in the adapter to get 12v and ground but you can use the longer wires from the harness and feed them up the post socket in the bed.
Just lay out the adapter and note the 12v and ground colored wires, Cut the long wires from the adapter and rejoin the shorter stub wires to complete the circuit for them. Then splice a longer wire on the 12v one and repeat with the ground wire. solder all wire and tape well.
Run the wires and you'll have 12v. in the bed. I used weatherproof connectors in a couple of spots and can remove the entire setup in less than a couple minutes.

We have these discussions all the time about the Moss-Magnuson act. Yes it protects you if you make changes. So--- what if they deny the claim just because they want to cheap out on you. Well--- You can get a lawyer, hope he knows what he's doing, and then pay him. Could you get made whole, probably but is it worth the trouble or would it just be easier to pull the adapter and move on.

To me it's a case on being "dead" right. No real upside as I quit fighting windmills years ago.

Your monkey, your circus - However.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed a license plate backup light by splicing into the existing wiring on one of the backup lights. Used the supplied wiring that came with the light. Easy to do and no additional expense for the harness you referenced.

Calsun

Reaction score
All it does is make any repairs to the rear lights your problem in the future. To be safe I would tap into the trailer lights plug wiring.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
DON'T DO IT!! I tried it and now my Uconnect system only plays Michael Bolton music.

derp

Reaction score
tapping into that power via the plug on the bumper is a SUPER easy and trivial to unplug path. It can't tamper with your warranty (for the electrical system) if you don't touch the stock wiring harness. now if you do something radically bad with attaching lights to your plug, that's on you and not covered by warranty anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread