5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can someone help me out by identifying this?

LITTLEREBEL

Reaction score
1706184758872.jpeg

I picked this used camper top up on marketplace and need to find out the brand to order a replacement key. Can someone help me out?

edit: I think it's a Leer, but there is nothing identifying that.

Last edited:

slimchance

Reaction score
it does look like a Leer cap, i had several Leer caps ...turns out the keys are very simple ... only a few lock sets .... went to the garage for inspection and somehow forgot the cap key ... the key to his cap fit my cap lock ... later tried lots of keys for other caps i had over the years .... that gave me many extra keys .... you could go to a cap dealer and am sure they would tell you the same thing a used cap dealer would be the best .. hope this helps

Attachments

• 20181107_resized.jpg
    20181107_resized.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20190208_085521_resized.jpg
    20190208_085521_resized.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20190208_085545_resized.jpg
    20190208_085545_resized.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 22

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can't really tell from the pictures but if the rear of the side window has a slant to conform with the angle of the back of the cap it's might be some model of Leer 100 but I think the rear looks more like an ARE V model cap.

To me the side window looks more like a Jeraco cab-high series.

ALSO: Somewhere inside the cap there should be a metal riveted identification plate that lists the manufacture and serial number. I understand someone debadging the outside but I can't see someone removing the ID plate unless it's stolen.

LITTLEREBEL

Reaction score
it does look like a Leer cap, i had several Leer caps ...turns out the keys are very simple ... only a few lock sets .... went to the garage for inspection and somehow forgot the cap key ... the key to his cap fit my cap lock ... later tried lots of keys for other caps i had over the years .... that gave me many extra keys .... you could go to a cap dealer and am sure they would tell you the same thing a used cap dealer would be the best .. hope this helps

Thats a good and bad thing.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's not a lot of noticeable difference in major brands. It looks like the ARE cap on my old Dakota. If there's a number on the lock, it might be meaningful. But like others said, lots of the keys are the same, check a local third party cap & accessories installer. They'll probably know what to do, might cost you more than the parts are worth but their knowledge and experience is worth something too.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Usually there is a plate inside that has all the information. All Leers have the little triangle indentations on the rear sides as well.

Users who are viewing this thread