5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can rear suspension handle a motorcycle carrier

BuckRebel2020

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a newbie here. I just purchased a new 4WD Rebel after driving a 2WD Laramie for the past 5 years. I used to carry my motorcycle in the bed of the Laramie, but it was tough getting a 455 pound bike up there using a ramp. Since the Rebel sits higher, I am considering getting a hitch mounted motorcycle carrier so I don't bust my a*%. The combined weight would be around 540-550#'s which the class IV hitch receiver should be able to handle, but I'm worried about the rear suspension. I don't have the air suspension and am worried about sagging, bouncing and wearing out the rear shocks. Do you guys think it would be an issue?? I'd appreciate any input.

Reactions: Vic

Zinger

Reaction score
Will it do it? Yeah, I think so. Will you like it is the question. If this was a very occasional thing maybe you can get away with it, but the MUCH better option is an MC trailer. I've rented the Uhaul MC trailers and they work great for occasional hauls. If I was transporting a bike regularly I would buy or build my own.

BuckRebel2020

Reaction score
Will it do it? Yeah, I think so. Will you like it is the question. If this was a very occasional thing maybe you can get away with it, but the MUCH better option is an MC trailer. I've rented the Uhaul MC trailers and they work great for occasional hauls. If I was transporting a bike regularly I would buy or build my own.
Thanks Zinger. I would rather just go with the trailer, but unfortunately, I've got no place to store it. Most hauls would be a couple of hours round trip to get out of the city and get to a starting point where riding is fun. I'd do the occassional 4 hour each way haul.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree; I’d likely rent a trailer as needed. I’ve also transported a bike in my bed, which works great, but I understand the loading difficulty.

If I were considering the hitch-mounted carrier, I’d be concerned about torsion on the hitch and jostling over bumps more than capacity. I don’t know how these are designed to be stabilized. I have the air suspension, so the convenience of dropping the truck to load/unload would be cool.

Xhumeka

Reaction score
I use one on my Power Wagon all the time, and plan to continue using it on my new truck (1500) when it arrives. I had the same concern about torsion so I always use 2 extra straps on both ends of the hauler cinched up tightly to my diamondback tonneau cover (i'm hoping there will be something to attach to in a similar spot on the new truck - a stake pocket or something):

2iMdYNf.png

Based purely on tongue weight for a class 4 hitch it shouldn't be an issue... I have friends that haul their bikes on some WIMPY vehicles lol:

oOhRoiG.png

BuckRebel2020

Reaction score
I use one on my Power Wagon all the time, and plan to continue using it on my new truck (1500) when it arrives. I had the same concern about torsion so I always use 2 extra straps on both ends of the hauler cinched up tightly to my diamondback tonneau cover (i'm hoping there will be something to attach to in a similar spot on the new truck - a stake pocket or something):

2iMdYNf.png

Based purely on tongue weight for a class 4 hitch it shouldn't be an issue... I have friends that haul their bikes on some WIMPY vehicles lol:

oOhRoiG.png
Thanks Xhumeka!

Tusch

Reaction score
I'd invest in a solid long ramp and keep your bike secured and the truck suspension better balanced.
Easy in and out if you have the right ramp. This on my old F-150 that didn't have air suspension.
Find a downward slope to help with the angle. Ramp.jpg

10 ft HD 4-Beam Aluminum Harley Wide Loading Ramp motorcycle truck atv by Titan

PWannabee

Reaction score
@Tusch That Titan rack is sweet, but how small does it fold up? Does it fit in the bed alongside the bike?

ryanc111

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a newbie here. I just purchased a new 4WD Rebel after driving a 2WD Laramie for the past 5 years. I used to carry my motorcycle in the bed of the Laramie, but it was tough getting a 455 pound bike up there using a ramp. Since the Rebel sits higher, I am considering getting a hitch mounted motorcycle carrier so I don't bust my a*%. The combined weight would be around 540-550#'s which the class IV hitch receiver should be able to handle, but I'm worried about the rear suspension. I don't have the air suspension and am worried about sagging, bouncing and wearing out the rear shocks. Do you guys think it would be an issue?? I'd appreciate any input.

I use one for my Beta 390-RRS and it works great - it does lower the suspension a bit since it is putting the weight behind the truck rather than in the bed but since I have a topper it’s either that or a trailer. I have a Laramie with the ORG and Mopar 2” lift though so not exactly apples to apples.

I’ve considered adding airbags but mostly from an aesthetic perspective not performance - no challenges driving as is on the interstate. The mount secures tight to the receiver so there isn’t any swaying.

GunnyZXR

Reaction score
You'd have trouble getting a 455 pound bike up the little ramp of the hitch carrier!!! Most modern dirtbikes are around 250-275 and i see grown men struggle loading them. It will be all but impossible if you do not have someone to help you strap the bike down while you hold it upright and in place.

IMHO a Extended ramp like posted above by Tusch, is the safest (for you and your bike), and easiest way to go.

or......

SacRebel

Reaction score
I have a dirt bike that I'll put on my hitch mount rack and it definitely sways no matter how well it is cinched down. I can't imagine ever putting a heavier bike on one.

Tusch

Reaction score
Where did you get that ramp?
I got it 3 yeas ago on eBay. Paid $374 (included shipping and tax)
Do a search on:

Titan 10' HD 4-Beam Wide Aluminum Truck Load Ramp Motorcycle Harley atv Cruiser
Yes, it folds up so you can travel with it in your bed.

Cr250Ram

Reaction score
I have a hitch motorcycle carrier, the main rail is steel and the cross member the bike sits on is aluminum. I used it off road in the desert carrying a 2001 cr250r dirt bike. It performed great. Crossing huge ruts/creeks it would drag on the ground due to the angles but it just scratched the metal some. The dirt bike is solid on it. It does move around some due to the tolerances in the trailer hitch but it wasn’t bad. I added a trailer lighting kit to the cross member the bike sits on since the dirt bike slightly obscured my trucks lights so I didn’t want to ticket or even worse, a rear end accident. I think it’s comical he didn’t trust it due to “rust”..... It’s just surface rust unless your truck is really really old... with that said I wouldn’t put a Harley on one and I would question anything other than a dirt bike. I would def get an all steel one if that where the case.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My husband is pretty happy with TMS T-NS-MRC001 carrier so far. He uses it for a Honda Grom. Used it about 8-10 times so far nothing has fallen apart or rattled loose. Assembly was pretty easy/self-explanatory. He has to keep outside when he is not using so after rain it had some rust where paint chipped off. he doesn’t expect this carrier to last his entire life so that’s ok. I recommend checking it over every few uses to make sure no fasteners rattle loose. Can’t rate durability yet. Don’t waste your time with the anti-tilt thingy. I have no idea how it’s supposed to work.

Users who are viewing this thread