5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I use AlphaOBD (or any other application) to disable over-the-air updates?

clintoris

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Rebel and I've received past over-the-air updates, and it looks like another one just got pushed to me, but I have not scheduled the install. I don't want it. Everything is working just fine, and I don't want any updates. I'm trying to find a way to S-can the pending update and disable any future updates.

Anyone have any feedback on this? I appreciate any help I can get.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Rebel and I've received past over-the-air updates, and it looks like another one just got pushed to me, but I have not scheduled the install. I don't want it. Everything is working just fine, and I don't want any updates. I'm trying to find a way to S-can the pending update and disable any future updates.

Anyone have any feedback on this? I appreciate any help I can get.
No

clintoris

Reaction score
if I physically disable the cell antenna, will this cause any faults that will be disruptive?

clintoris

Reaction score
No. But you would need to remove the Sim unit. Antenna would not be good enough and you could still get updates.
Just for clarification, you're referring to the system interface module? or are you referring to the SIM card that the cell radio would use (assuming GSM network)?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
if it's an eSIM... is there a way to change it with a tuner or programming software?
No, it's all part of Uconnect. Tuners and programmers only deal with the BCM. Separate systems.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
if it's an eSIM... is there a way to change it with a tuner or programming software?
I don't think the UC4 modules have an eSIM.
But no you can't turn or program it out.

On UC5 we have units with eSIM, we need to remove the entire box, disable the box as being present (which does not disable it) and use cables to bridge connections.

On UC4 it's internal, I though I remember seeing a breakdown showing a sim card.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think the UC4 modules have an eSIM.
But no you can't turn or program it out.

On UC5 we have units with eSIM, we need to remove the entire box, disable the box as being present (which does not disable it) and use cables to bridge connections.

On UC4 it's internal, I though I remember seeing a breakdown showing a sim card.
on the UC4, you can open the back of the radio and unplug+remove the module. its screwed to the case and acts like a heatsink. problem is, the board also does GPS, so if you unplug it, you'll loose built in GPS as well. Haven't disected further to see if you could possibly just remove the SIM card itself or if it even is a SIM card or something soldered could be removed, so you could re-connect the board and re-gain GPS.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
on the UC4, you can open the back of the radio and unplug+remove the module. its screwed to the case and acts like a heatsink. problem is, the board also does GPS, so if you unplug it, you'll loose built in GPS as well. Haven't disected further to see if you could possibly just remove the SIM card itself or if it even is a SIM card or something soldered could be removed, so you could re-connect the board and re-gain GPS.
I can't find the page but I thought I saw someone that did it, but it was not on a Ram. I want to say it was a Chrysler. It was a very odd website, all text only a couple of pictures.
I ripped apart my telematics box on my 2022, and there is nothing you can do with it, the modem is a soldered on chip with no sim.
I'm starting to think it might of been different than the UC4 in the Rams.

Users who are viewing this thread