5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I tow this much?

mgrwc14

Reaction score
First time finding this site and first time posting.
New to Towing and am trying to learn all I can. Here is my worry:

Truck: 2024 Ram 1500 V6 e-torque Big Horn\Lonestar 4x4 (3.21 Gear) 5'7" Bed Crew Cab
Class IV Hitch (Has the Tow/Haul mode but no break, but I will add the breaking later).
I googled and found the max towing for my truck is 7,730 pounds.

Trailer I am really wanting to get for the family but am worried about the truck not handling it:
2024 Grey Wolf DBH 29' 5"
UVW 5,581 lbs.
GVWR 7,621 lbs.
Cargo Capacity 2,040 lbs.
Most of the time will not be dry camping so would most likely not drive with the tanks full, but I plan to dry camp as well when the time calls.

I have been researching travel trailers and found that this grey wolf fits my family of 7 perfect and has everything we want. Now I am worried that the RAM will not be able to tow or handle it.
With everything that I have given above, what are your guys opinions on this?
Will my truck be able to handle and tow? Granted I live in CA and if you know about the grapevine in southern CA I will be going up that a few times a year. Is there anything I need to add to the truck to make it safer. Please let me know. Thanks!

Last edited:

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
First time finding this site and first time posting.
New to Towing and am trying to learn all I can. Here is my worry:

Truck: 2024 Ram 1500 V6 e-torque Big Horn\Lonestar 4x4 (3.21 Gear) 5'7" Bed Crew Cab
Class IV Hitch (Has the Tow/Haul mode but no break, but I will add the breaking later).
I googled and found the max towing for my truck is 7,730 pounds.

Trailer I am really wanting to get for the family but am worried about the truck not handling it:
2024 Grey Wolf DBH 29' 5"
UVW 5,581 lbs.
GVWR 7,621 lbs.
Cargo Capacity 2,040 lbs.
Most of the time will not be dry camping so would most likely not drive with the tanks full, but I plan to dry camp as well when the time calls.

I have been researching travel trailers and found that this grey wolf fits my family of 7 perfect and has everything we want. Now I am worried that the RAM will not be able to tow or handle it.
With everything that I have given above, what are your guys opinions on this?
Will my truck be able to handle and tow? Granted I live in CA and if you know about the grapevine in southern CA I will be going up that a few times a year. Is there anything I need to add to the truck to make it safer. Please let me know. Thanks!
Forget anything you found online about max towing. The determining factor won't be pulling capacity, it will be payload.

Look at the sticker on your driver's side door jamb. It will list your maximum payload. This is for a fully-fueled truck, but no occupants or cargo. Now, from the value that's listed, subtract the weight of all the people and gear that you'll have in your truck (cab and bed). Whatever is left - that's your available tongue load. A properly-loaded trailer will put somewhere around 12% of its total weight onto the tongue.

As an example, let's say you have 1400 lbs of payload on your door sticker. And let's say it will be you (200 lbs), your wife (150 lbs), and another 300 lbs of kids and gear. You mentioned a family of 7, so your total number is probably higher.
1400 - 200 - 150 - 300 = 750 lbs of available tongue load.

Your trailer has a GVWR of 7621 lbs, which means your tongue load is somewhere around 915 lbs. That's overloaded. So you'll either need to lighten the trailer, or lighten the occupants and cargo in the truck.
Even the empty weight of the trailer (5581 lbs) will put your tongue load at 670 lbs. That's pretty close to your available tongue load. Not counting a weight-distribution hitch (if you plan on adding one).

So, the things you need to look at are:
  • What does your door sticker say?
  • How much weight do you realistically envision having in your truck cab and bed (occupants and cargo)?

Users who are viewing this thread