5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I retro fit the new split tailgate on my 2019 Limited?

Wasy152

Reaction score
I'd love to get the new split tail gate on my 2019 truck. Would it fit my truck if I bought one or is it a completely different mounting system?

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe it was mentioned that it is a completely different mounting system, and that it would not be able to be added to a vehicle (i.e. it would have to come installed from the factory). It's just not the tailgate that would have to be swapped out.

windle

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, that sucks.
I looked at my nephews rebel with the ram boxes and split gate.looked like it would work other than the stops would have to be added. Gonna try it to see

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are older threads where this is discussed. I'm not sure if anyone ever tried it. I was going to try swapping my wife's MFT from her Limited onto my regular tailgate Laramie, but she wasn't comfortable with me doing that on a brand new truck. Now we both have trucks with the MFT so I lost interest. I think the biggest hurdle would be whether the wiring is there for it, and how difficult it would be to add it if not. But mechanically it would be pretty easy to swap them, especially if you have a rambox bed since there is no extra bracing required.

Edit: After a little searching I found this thread...

Looks like @MLB12 came the closest to doing the swap so you might try sending him a PM.

Last edited:

Johnny Grand

Reaction score
Wasy152 did you have any luck with this? I’m interested in doing a swap too if it’s an option. I have a 2019 limited

Users who are viewing this thread