5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I open rear doors without using FOB or touching drivers door?

yup ram

Reaction score
Like the title says, do I need to use the FOB in order to unlock the rear doors? I regularly approach the truck and want to load things into the back seat before getting in the drivers seat.

It’s my understanding that opening the drivers door via passive entry should unlock all four doors, but at that rate I might as well get the key fob out.

My wife’s traverse will unlock any door you approach as long as the fob is in your pocket so it’s kind of annoying that that doesn’t seem to be the case with my truck. I’m hoping it’s just a setting in the menu that I haven’t found.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
There is no presence detector in the rear doors so you must at a minimum put your hand through the front door handle loop to unlock first (if the uConnec setting is to unlock ALL doors) then you may open the rears. Yes, it's not as ideal, but I don't give it much thought really.

Hopefully the MY23/24 refresh brings phone-as-a-key operation that will unlock once you approach the vehicle with your phone on your person.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've gotten used to just touching the inside of the driver or passenger front door to unlock it. Literally takes less than a second to do. There are members here who have installed the sensors in the rear door handles if you want to spend some time searching the forums.

yup ram

Reaction score
Hadn’t really thought/realized that I wouldn’t have to actually open the front door. Not ideal but a solution none-the-less. Thanks!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hadn’t really thought/realized that I wouldn’t have to actually open the front door. Not ideal but a solution none-the-less. Thanks!
Yeah, same for the RamBox lids (for those of us that have them). Gotta go touch the driver's door handle, then pop the boxes. Small opportunity for Ram to improve convenience there.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Remember that having the key in your pocket also works for the tailgate, you don't need to unlock the front doors to unlock the tailgate.

However, it doesn't give a visible lock signal either, it becomes locked after you move several feet away, this is assuming the rest of the doors are also locked. I really do find the tailgate passive system very handy.

Another side note, your OEM alarm system also arms by just locking the doors manually as well. So if you don't have your key, but you locked your doors with the door lock button on the door panel, it will also set the alarm just like locking the truck in the traditional way.

Last edited:

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And, from the OPPOSITE perspective, I've found that my rear seat passengers are locked in after I stop to let them out. I'm used to interior handles automatically unlocking doors: not so in the Ram. You've got to mash the unlock button on the driver's armrest. (Or wait for your passengers to try to find the knob and pull it up...)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
And, from the OPPOSITE perspective, I've found that my rear seat passengers are locked in after I stop to let them out. I'm used to interior handles automatically unlocking doors: not so in the Ram. You've got to mash the unlock button on the driver's armrest. (Or wait for your passengers to try to find the knob and pull it up...)
That's definitely been an issue for me too. I've kind of gotten used to it now. Not sure how anyone could pull up the knob though. Mine all sit flush with the door panel when locked, so there's nothing to grab LOL.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Man, that’s one of the most bone-headed things on these trucks. I’ve never had a vehicle that didn’t auto-unlock the rear doors when selecting Park or simply pulling on the handle while in Park. My father-in-law always yanks on the handle before I think to hit the unlock button or open my own door.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just a friendly reminder too, the passive door sensor can be programmed under the settings to unlock just the driver door, or all doors when activated.

LouNY

Reaction score
I don't have that problem,
of course I have turned OFF the auto lock features.
My doors only lock when I tell them to or use the fob to remote start the truck.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So if you don't have your key, but you locked your doors with the door lock button on the door panel, it will also set the alarm just like locking the truck in the traditional way.
I happened to accidentally tried this last weekend. I didn't have my key fob on me, and I tried to lock the doors with the door lock button. It didn't work.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I happened to accidentally tried this last weekend. I didn't have my key fob on me, and I tried to lock the doors with the door lock button. It didn't work.

It didn't work manually? That usually only happens if the key is in the vehicle.

Or did you mean the alarm?

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It didn't work manually? That usually only happens if the key is in the vehicle.

Or did you mean the alarm?
I unlocked it with the keyfob from inside the house, but left the keyfob. Then I went outside to get something. When I tried to lock it by using the door lock button, it wouldn't do anything (lock or alarm). I figured I needed the keyfob on my person to use the door lock button.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I unlocked it with the keyfob from inside the house, but left the keyfob. Then I went outside to get something. When I tried to lock it by using the door lock button, it wouldn't do anything (lock or alarm). I figured I needed the keyfob on my person to use the door lock button.

Gotcha, I wonder if that's year or package dependent? Mine is a 2019, but I have probably a hundred times unlocked my truck from the house, leaving the key there so I could do the same thing, retrieve something from the truck in the garage. I would then lock it from the lock button on the door.

I did notice one time I couldn't do it, I figured it was due to some sort of reception or process issue, and it was a one time thing. Did you try it again?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
By door lock button are you talking about the button on the outside door handle, or the button on the inside door panel? I thought I have locked mine using the button on the inside of the door panel without the fob, but I could be mistaken because CRS.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Yes, just to clarify for myself as well, I mean the door lock button on the inside of the door, not the outside door lock button on the handle.

I don't believe the door handle lock button will work without the key nearby, however the door lock button on the driver's door panel should always work unless the key is inside the cab to prevent accidentally locking your key in your vehicle.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
By door lock button are you talking about the button on the outside door handle, or the button on the inside door panel? I thought I have locked mine using the button on the inside of the door panel without the fob, but I could be mistaken because CRS.
Yes, just to clarify for myself as well, I mean the door lock button on the inside of the door, not the outside door lock button on the handle.

I don't believe the door handle lock button will work without the key nearby, however the door lock button on the driver's door panel should always work unless the key is inside the cab to prevent accidentally locking your key in your vehicle.
Yes, I meant the button on the outside door handle :ROFLMAO:

Users who are viewing this thread