5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I have both bed steps?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a '21 Limited with the Multi-Function Tailgate (and RamBoxes, if that matters).

It has the bed step that is in the middle of the bumper. That is very useful when I have the tailgate open barn door-style. I'm old. Climbing up in the bed without that step is not too bad, but sooner or later I'm likely to hurt myself trying to get back down without a step there.

But, when I open the tailgate the "classic" way - so I can use it as a work table - that step is useless.

I want to add the MOPAR bed step that goes at the back left corner of the truck, for climbing up onto the tailgate when you have a non-MFT, or when you have the MFT open like a classic tailgate. Of course, I don't want to lose the bed step in the middle.

Do any of you know if it's possible to get the MOPAR left rear corner bed step kit and add it on without affecting the middle bed step?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I have a '21 Limited with the Multi-Function Tailgate (and RamBoxes, if that matters).

It has the bed step that is in the middle of the bumper. That is very useful when I have the tailgate open barn door-style. I'm old. Climbing up in the bed without that step is not too bad, but sooner or later I'm likely to hurt myself trying to get back down without a step there.

But, when I open the tailgate the "classic" way - so I can use it as a work table - that step is useless.

I want to add the MOPAR bed step that goes at the back left corner of the truck, for climbing up onto the tailgate when you have a non-MFT, or when you have the MFT open like a classic tailgate. Of course, I don't want to lose the bed step in the middle.

Do any of you know if it's possible to get the MOPAR left rear corner bed step kit and add it on without affecting the middle bed step?
if it was me I would watch this video and see if my truck has the same openings

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not really any good spot to put it.

OP has Ramboxes and MFT so it would eat into cargo space.
still can put it right in front of the tailgate when open it the traditional way. that's how i do it lol
then when it's time to put it away i just put it in the cab. will be putting it in the bed once my cargo net arrives

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Limited38 (Limited38) was able to install 2 steps:

Is that really fair? He had to make his own step, did you even read the post lol? Anything is possible if you want to weld, make new holes, and cut metal. You could mount this step in your engine bay if you had the equipment to make it so. For the majority of us it's not possible to do what he did.
Its cool what he did and all but I'm going to day the answer is still no. You can't mount it with the center step unless you create your own mounts
Modified Mopar P/N 82216265A bed step. Machined mounting flange to clear existing corner step structure, trimmed corner step lower mounting flange & drilled new mounting bolt hole. Installed with 3 stainless steel washers as a shim for the offset mounting (due to the corner step bracket). I have a tracing of the finished machined relief (I just have to find it)

RickWaz

Reaction score
Is that really fair? He had to make his own step, did you even read the post lol? Anything is possible if you want to weld, make new holes, and cut metal. You could mount this step in your engine bay if you had the equipment to make it so. For the majority of us it's not possible to do what he did.
Its cool what he did and all but I'm going to day the answer is still no. You can't mount it with the center step unless you create your own mounts
EXACTLY! I do not have the time, tools, skills, patience, etc., to fabricate what's needed to install both steps. But I do have enough swear words to use if I attempted such a fabrication + install. So it's definitely something that's left to a skilled + clever person!

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No it will not fit.

They mount in the same exact spot. That area and screws are used by the center step unfortunately.

Thanks. I had a feeling that was going to be the answer.

My next question was going to be do they use the same holes from the opposite sides, so maybe I would just need longer bolts? But, from the ensuing discussion about the thread where someone did mount both steps, I guess it is totally not that easy. Oh, well.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks. I had a feeling that was going to be the answer.

My next question was going to be do they use the same holes from the opposite sides, so maybe I would just need longer bolts? But, from the ensuing discussion about the thread where someone did mount both steps, I guess it is totally not that easy. Oh, well.
it's very easy to take a look at your existing one. I looked under my truck yesterday to make sure I wasn't crazy. It's the same mount unfortunately.

mhendo

Reaction score
It can be done but requires modification to the side step. Here's a thread from another user that did it.

Users who are viewing this thread