5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I get some relay help please?

Choppa

Reaction score
So I am going to be installing some switchback LEDs soon. The plan is that with the truck running and headlights OFF the LED is in DRL mode. With headlights ON the LEDs are amber. I was planning on using 2 relays for this but wondering if one is ok. My assumption is if I tap F55 or F61 (RT or Left Headlamp) to terminal 86 the Terminal 87 will activate (Amber) if headlights are on and 87a will activate if headlights are off.

Or do I need to run two relays only using terminal 87 on each? Would appreciate any help.

ModPod.PNG

Awood05

Reaction score
That should work, however I wouldn’t use battery power to feed pin #30 or else your DRL will always be on. I would use an ignition source. If you can’t find an adequate ignition source on the truck, you‘re going to need two relays. The second will need to feed ignition triggered battery power to your light relay. Hope this helps.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
That should work, however I wouldn’t use battery power to feed pin #30 or else your DRL will always be on. I would use an ignition source. If you can’t find an adequate ignition source on the truck, you‘re going to need two relays. The second will need to feed ignition triggered battery power to your light relay. Hope this helps.
I agree with what he said.

The hardest part of all of it will be finding an ignition power source for terminal 30. If you don't pull a trailer, you could easily unplug the trailer lights fuse underhood and use a skinny female spade terminal on the fuse connection to feed your terminal 86.

Choppa

Reaction score

I agree with what he said.

The hardest part of all of it will be finding an ignition power source for terminal 30. If you don't pull a trailer, you could easily unplug the trailer lights fuse underhood and use a skinny female spade terminal on the fuse connection to feed your terminal 86.
Thank you both, this helps. I was also thinking about the constant source from the battery and it makes sense why one relay wouldn't work in that case.

I'm going to check these three for ignition or fuse tap the trailer light fuse:

F20.PNG F35.PNG F60.PNG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread