5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CAN Bus device addition

Aardvarkeng

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully integrated a Raspberry Pi or Arduino into their truck and used CAN / LIN signals for control or monitoring? It seems to me that this is what the Tazer does in "live mode". If something like this is doable then I would think many of the features that are "missing" could become functional.

Thoughts??

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
We've used the Comma.ai with the panda to do it so it is doable.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is/was(?) a whole forum around integrating computers into cars and at one point looked into reading/sending commands over the canbus. I never did get around to it but definitely doable. Between Alfa, the tazer, and software like autoenginuity, it might not be worth the time/effort. All said from a guy that will print a chip clip that takes 4 hours instead of just grabbing one for a buck at the store. lol

Aardvarkeng

Reaction score
There is/was(?) a whole forum around integrating computers into cars and at one point looked into reading/sending commands over the canbus. I never did get around to it but definitely doable. Between Alfa, the tazer, and software like autoenginuity, it might not be worth the time/effort. All said from a guy that will print a chip clip that takes 4 hours instead of just grabbing one for a buck at the store. lol
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know there was a thread on this topic. I had been keenly interested back then. And, I do not want to re-invent the wheel. I have Alfa and am not interested in getting the Tazer for "live" functions" only. There are a few features that I think shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish once the actual CAN / LIN message can be figured out. That is where I am in my process. For example, We should be able to get the passenger seat heater to turn on along with the driver seat on a remote (fobik) start. Aux switches in the 1500 seem to be a real tough one to crack. Global windows down possibly? Similar stuff to that is what I'm thinking of.

I am in the process of getting a CAN bus adapter connected so I can try logging data, and will see if that leads down a path, or to a dead end....

I guess time will tell

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know there was a thread on this topic. I had been keenly interested back then. And, I do not want to re-invent the wheel. I have Alfa and am not interested in getting the Tazer for "live" functions" only. There are a few features that I think shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish once the actual CAN / LIN message can be figured out. That is where I am in my process. For example, We should be able to get the passenger seat heater to turn on along with the driver seat on a remote (fobik) start. Aux switches in the 1500 seem to be a real tough one to crack. Global windows down possibly? Similar stuff to that is what I'm thinking of.

I am in the process of getting a CAN bus adapter connected so I can try logging data, and will see if that leads down a path, or to a dead end....

I guess time will tell
Good luck, definitely interested in this.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Look into a Panda from comma. It logs all the canbus messages and allows changes on the fly.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have a canbus usb analyzer and started messing with a few things myself. I’d like my front park sensors to trigger the aux camera input (front add on camera) and a few other hacks. What can interface are you using? I got a cheapie on Amazon, but having connection issues, but might be the mac M1 I’m using with its lack of proper USB ports.

Swicago

Reaction score
LIN bus is 12V @ 19200baud with only one line. Both transmit and receive is done on same line in a ring. So it might be tough to figure out which message is meant for what device and which device responds to the master.

Users who are viewing this thread