5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can Blind Spot option be added to Big Horn trim after delivery?

Joed

Reaction score
I am getting a good deal on a Big Horn that's at dealer's lot. It has the level 2 package but no "Blind Spot and Cross Path warning" option, can this option be added afterwards or it's factory installed option only?

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was told most can be added, but at a “ STEEP “ cost and not a guarantee to work sadly.

RamfanTenn

Reaction score
Dealer told me that blind spot could be added, and if memory serves me it was $950 installed.

psyberai

Clinically Abnormal Attention Paid To This Truck
Reaction score
I ran into a similar situation of good pricing, but at the loss of this feature. I asked the dealership's service department if this could be added. I was told the Mopar equipment could not be installed by techs at the dealership. I was advised to check out other side companies that might do that. In a *quick* web search, I have only found blind spot solutions and not the cross path detection, plus the blind spot tech was expectedly not well integrated with onboard computer (i.e. does not compute trailer size and operate according to the net length). Again, my web search was in no way exhaustive so there may be something a bit more comparable and integrated out there. Based on RamfanTenn's response, I intend to ask other dealerships to see if their response varies. This would open up options for me.

Tangential question: Do those with this tech find it to be practically indispensable? In other words, are these capabilities so well functioning as to not introduce operational annoyances and instill an earned level of trust in the tech. Stating flatly that without using it for any real period of time, I am assuming it is better to have, than to not have; just trying to gauge practical benefit in case this wait gets too long and I see inventory like this again. I understand it is ultimately a personal choice, but I do appreciate the wisdom of the crowd.

UKreject

Reaction score
I had all the safety tech in my last vehicle and until I bought my Bighorn, I did not realise how much I had come to depend on it. I miss not having it on this truck and wish I could upgrade. It's a steep cost but one I am considering.

ram3321

Reaction score
It’s been a while, but did you guys end up getting the feature installed? I’m taking delivery of my bighorn soon and this is at the top of my list.

NewToRAM

Reaction score
Quite honestly I'm disappointed in mine. The blind spot illuminates just as a car is AT my back bumper but no further. In my wife's 2015 Impala LTZ it illuminates when a car is perhaps a car length back and although I would never do it, you could change lanes according to the Blind Spot (BLIS) Monitoring system in her car. This system will tell you when another vehicle is already in your blind spot, not when one is approaching. Summary - I wouldn't waste my time, energy and money to add it and in fact I could get the money back for the one I have I'd do it.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Quite honestly I'm disappointed in mine. The blind spot illuminates just as a car is AT my back bumper but no further. In my wife's 2015 Impala LTZ it illuminates when a car is perhaps a car length back and although I would never do it, you could change lanes according to the Blind Spot (BLIS) Monitoring system in her car. This system will tell you when another vehicle is already in your blind spot, not when one is approaching. Summary - I wouldn't waste my time, energy and money to add it and in fact I could get the money back for the one I have I'd do it.

I agree, the Ram blind spot detection needs some polishing. It's slow to react, vehicles have to be really close to your rear before it illuminates and the warring lights will turn off after the car is no longer in your blind spot but still next to you typically it seems when the back of the car next to me passes the front of the bed it shuts off, I think the problem is that there is only one sensor in the rear tail lights so its range of view is pretty small. Lexus is the only other vehicles I have had with BSM and the way they do it is far superior. They also use multiple sensors for detection most notably one located just aft the front tire that picks up most anything that next to the vehicle. The whole thing really doesn't make sense because its supposedly able to adapt it's range and automatically detect the length of a trailer if you're pulling one so it should be able to detect vehicles approaching from the rear earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread