5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone actually tell the difference i power between the 5.7 and 5.7 with Etorque? Please post.

TWRam

Reaction score
It’s an 8 year, 80k emissions warranty, unless something has changed this year.

Search this forum (especially early posts from mid-2018) and you’ll find a TON of info on eTorque.

Thanks for your review.
Etorque system is covered in the "emissions" warranty. I see it is only 80k miles, not 100k as I stated above. I'll change that.

"Further, as part of the Basic Limited Warranty, the Federal Emission Warranty covers the following parts of the eTorque system for eight years/80,000 miles, whichever comes first.

• Belt Driven Hybrid Starter Generator Assembly
  • Catalytic Converter
  • Powertrain Control Module
  • Power Pack Unit - 48 Volts"

Rick J

Reaction score
edit: LOL. Typing at the same time as TWRam

It’s an 8 year, 80k emissions warranty, unless something has changed this year.

Search this forum (especially early posts from mid-2018) and you’ll find a TON of info on eTorque.

Thanks for your review.
It is a Federal Emissions warranty but it covers the eTorque.

Parts Covered For 8 Years Or 80,000 Miles
If your vehicle has one of the following parts, this Federal Emission Warranty covers that part for a period of 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, calculated from the start of the Basic Limited Warranty as set forth in Section 2.1 E. The covered parts are:
• Belt Driven Hybrid Starter Generator Assembly
• Catalytic Converter
• Powertrain Control Module
• Power Pack Unit - 48 Volts

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
IRunning the AC disables the stop/start feature, which is the primary method for increasing fuel economy.

This is not accurate. The AC will cause the engine to start up sooner, due to the power the AC is using from the battery. It does not disable it, although the air doesn't blow very cool while the engine is shut off.

The start stop is extremely smooth and you will get a slight improvement in overall fuel consumption. If you trade in your truck every three years it is unlikely you will hit the break even point. It isn't going to give you extra power or make your truck any faster. If you keep of for a while and want a little bit of extended range when driving in town it is a great feature. I really think some people have some sort of inferiority complex in regards to eTourqe and need to justify why they didn't buy it. It is never going to provide drastic improvements in fuel economy and yes it is possible it breaks, but as others have mentioned it has an 8 year warranty.

You can't go wrong with either option, they are both great trucks.

Panhandle Ram

Reaction score
This is not accurate. The AC will cause the engine to start up sooner, due to the power the AC is using from the battery. It does not disable it, although the air doesn't blow very cool while the engine is shut off.

The start stop is extremely smooth and you will get a slight improvement in overall fuel consumption. If you trade in your truck every three years it is unlikely you will hit the break even point. It isn't going to give you extra power or make your truck any faster. If you keep of for a while and want a little bit of extended range when driving in town it is a great feature. I really think some people have some sort of inferiority complex in regards to eTourqe and need to justify why they didn't buy it. It is never going to provide drastic improvements in fuel economy and yes it is possible it breaks, but as others have mentioned it has an 8 year warranty.

You can't go wrong with either option, they are both great trucks.
From what I seen in my ram in FL, it DOES disable start/stop if using recirculate + max fan level(7) with a/c on ONLY.
but not when recirculate is off . Can be fan speed 7 and it will turn off at a light.
the engine will also stop immediately if i bring the fan setting to 6 or lower (not max a/c) and it also will fire the truck up no matter what if i increase fan speed while engine off. pretty cool, i turn a/c down to 1-4 at stop lights and its enough to last the light duration usually.
And I would think they would disable it for max fan level without recirc as well, as the etorque battery doesnt support that draw for more than 30 seconds with a/c blasting in my cases. (short city trips, lots of lights)

Last edited:

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Etorque start/stop makes a world of difference for me in heavy stop and go traffic as far as gas mileage goes.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From what I seen in my ram in FL, it DOES disable start/stop if using recirculate + max fan level(7) with a/c on ONLY.
but not when recirculate is off . Can be fan speed 7 and it will turn off at a light.
the engine will also stop immediately if i bring the fan setting to 6 or lower (not max a/c) and it also will fire the truck up no matter what if i increase fan speed while engine off. pretty cool, i turn a/c down to 1-4 at stop lights and its enough to last the light duration usually.
And I would think they would disable it for max fan level without recirc as well, as the etorque battery doesnt support that draw for more than 30 seconds with a/c blasting in my cases. (short city trips, lots of lights)
Max will, IIRC. Auto A/C won’t disable stop/start.

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
I find that my E-torque is smooth enough that I don't disable the auto-stop (which I've done everytime I've driven any other vehicle with it). In my old Acura MDX, the re-start after an auto-stop was one hell of a jerk. In my 1500, it's darned near imperceptible. In northern NM I find that the AC will work adequately from the electric motor as long as the outside temp is <75ºF. Beyond that temp and the engine will restart within 15 seconds to power the AC. I can't give a valid opinion on torque boost but I can say I'm very pleased with the takeoff while towing. I also can't give a valid opinion on resistance braking (never towed with a non e-torque model) but there's definitely an engine brake effect I notice when coasting down and the speed drops below 40. I drop from 40 to 25 pretty quickly without braking - which is one of the primary reasons I went with E-torque...with no 'flappy-paddles' I wanted the engine/resistance to help save my brake pads.

Fastman21

Reaction score
So just to be clear, eTourqe is an assist for the start/stop function ONLY. There are no HP or bottom end gains to be had, there are little economy benefits to cash in on either.

I find start/stop tech to be a silly way for people that like the power of a gasoline engine to feel like they're contributing to the ecological efforts of the granola crunching leftist tree huggers. Makes my head spin. F-you David Suzuki!

But I digress, it IS all about start/stop. Maybe you'll save a few pennies a year in fuel. But if saving money on fuel is your honest goal... wow, what a foolish way to waste $60k. You should've bought a Prius.
The etorque adds power from idle to 1500 rpm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/