5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anybody confirm this dial works?

jmac

Reaction score
I had a 2016 Ram Limited and when the lights came on automatically with the wipers, the dash lights stayed on daylight setting. Hopefully RAM will fix this with an update on the 2019.

shauste

Reaction score
Thanking everyone for the information on this. I refused to believe that my 2018 1500 Laramie came with the ambient lighting and my 2019 Lamarie Sport did not. Here's what I confirmed...if the right rotary switch (instrument panel dimmer control) is rotated to the upper detent, the ambient lights will not illuminate. If the right rotary switch is rolled slightly down from the detent, then the ambient lights will illuminate. You will then have to rotate the left rotary switch (ambient light control) to your preference. The instrument cluster does darken when the right rotary switch is rolled from the detent. The Uconnect > Apps > Settings > Display will allow you to make adjustments when placed in manual mode but I believe this adjustment is just for the Uconnect display. You can adjust the brightness according to when the headlights are on or off. I will have to investigate further in total darkness as to the brightness of the instrument cluster by making these adjustments. I know the 12" system is quite bright at night and I will be tweaking my adjustments to my comfort. If I find anything else concerning the instrument panel I will respond.

Editing to show ambient lighting on the passenger side...

Attachments

• IMG_3111.JPG
    IMG_3111.JPG
    619.6 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

shauste

Reaction score
Reading the manual didn't help me. This forum actually helped...

JackHammer

Reaction score
I JUST picked up my NEW 2019 Limited TODAY! First thing I noticed was the instrument lighting issue - too bright when right rotary is all the way up, not bright enough when right rotary is "backed" off from full. Has anyone heard from their dealer or the company directly on this? Seems like this would be an easy fix - change the granularity of the rotary switch.
Just my thought. Would love to hear a solution.

silverbullet

Reaction score
It's a glitch of some kind for certain. I'd like to think a software update of some kind could fix it...My 15 Durango worked like we all think it should as does my 15 Challenger. Hopefully they push some update or fix.

2019 Ram Customer

Reaction score
My understanding/experience is that when the right rheostat wheel is set to max bright (at top past the detent), then it sets the brightness of the instrument panel and the central display screen (the u connect navigation screen). The central screen has a separate display brightness setting in its menu. When it is set to automatic, then the right rheostat wheel controls the brightness of both the instrument panel and the central screen. When the menu setting on the central screen is set to manual, then it controls only the brightness of the central screen. You can turn your headlights on and pick a setting for the central display brightness between 1 and 10 for when your headlights are on. You can then turn your headlights off and pick a setting for the central display brightness between 1 and 10 for when your headlights are off. None of the central screen settings cure the problem of the abnormally dim instrument panel lights noted above. In addition, like the problem with the rheostat wheel, the central screen brightness adjustments seem (to me) to give abnormally dim central screen brightness. In manual adjustment the lower display numbers (say 1-5) are so dark as to be useless, just like the problem with the rheostat. You have to go up to a manual brightness setting of 10 to have anything that is even marginally useful. A central screen setting of automatic is no better.
The dealer has advised me that the instrument panel lighting is normal. They say they checked most of the trucks on the lot and they operate the same. Advised me that they operate like this on various other Chrysler vehicles. A STAR file was opened on a running board problem that I have and the light issue was supposed to be included. My understanding is that Chrysler's reply did not include any response about the dim light problem.
There are some different navigation screen colors that you can select, which I have done, which make the screen somewhat more visible. The problem, however, is that even when you have made this change, and your headlights come on, the screen automatically defaults to a screen with a dark gray background, that makes screen information like street names difficult to see. Again, a problem if you are using the navigation screen at dusk or toward the end of the day and your headlights pop on. You then have to go over and click through 2 or 3 tabs to get the color back that you set.
Seems like a general lack of light problem that you just have to deal with by regularly adjusting the rheostat as the driving conditions change each day, and doing the best you can with the central display.

Rich

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I don't like the answer of "we checked and all the other trucks operate the same, so there is no problem"! No, this means the design is wrong and it's not user friendly!

Another problem with this is that when you set your headlights to come on anytime your wipers are on (a good safety setting to have your headlights come on when there is rain/snow), then your display also goes dim! If it's bright out (daytime), but it's raining/snowing, when I put my wipers on, the headlamps come on (which is good), but now I can't read my dashboard nor center screen as it's too dim!

I thought I saw a light sensor on top of the dashboard, why isn't this used to choose how bright or dim the dashboard lighting is? I have other brands of vehicles where all this works perfectly. The dash instruments and center console are never unreadable like this, nor require manual control. This can't be so difficult to resolve.

RAMRhode

Reaction score
There are some other threads in this forum about ambient lighting but yes if you have the right dial turned to the brightest setting it turns off the ambient lights even if you have the left dial on the brighest setting. Try turning right dial down one click from highest and pull in somewhere dark. You will see ambient lights on. This is how FCA designed this..unfortunately.
Drove me nuts trying to figure this out! Thanks to everyone here for such helpful info.

Saints

Reaction score
Great clarification on this. During my test drive I was kind of like “whoa this isn’t right” when it happened. I guess when I get my truck I’ll have to use the switch to get the setting I want until this is fixed.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Drove me nuts trying to figure this out! Thanks to everyone here for such helpful info.

your not the only one.i didnt know we even had this feature or how to turn it on or where to turn it on.i google this and it brought me here :LOL::LOL:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Information regarding the feature and operation of the ambient lighting control will be found on page 76 of the 2019 Ram 1500 Owner's Manual.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 011143 miles.

riveralg79

Reaction score
Can this be added to a Bighorn? Even if it wasn’t originally included in my vehicle?
e9723140d455cc8f86171e594ed25f7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riveralg79

Reaction score
Since we’re on the subject of interior lights, anyone else feel like the dash lights are either too bright (full on) or too dim. I’m struggling to find the perfect medium for in city night driving. Out of town the lower settings are perfect.

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pmoore

Reaction score
I have a 22 Laramie and Ram still has not fixed the gauges being either too bright or too dim. There needs to be better adjustments. Come on Ram!!

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get what you're talking about. It's either full on, or the notch down seems to be half and adjustable the rest of the way down. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this subsystem? I had an idea that adding a resistor in parallel with the top portion of the control might raise the adjustment range. Or it might draw more current and overheat the control, in which case a slightly more complex power transistor follower might do the trick. One of many tiny improvement ideas I've had that may or may not see the light of day.

BrandonSmith

Reaction score
MY 23 Lone Star doesn't even have a dimmer for the ambient lighting...

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
MY 23 Lone Star doesn't even have a dimmer for the ambient lighting...
Because you don't have the ambient lighting in your Lonestar. That's not the same as the footwell lighting.

Users who are viewing this thread