5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can’t buy adaptive cruise control for under 60k? Ram must not have seen Ford’s pricing.

jastevenson

Reaction score
Pretty shocked that there is no way to get adaptive cruise on a 4WD Crew cab without paying 60-70k. I noticed the 2021 F-150 has it on models selling for a fraction of the price.

It’s doubly crazy since all the necessary hardware is available on the $595 package for Big Horn and Tradesman. All that’s missing is an extra switch on the steering wheel.

JonUSN

Reaction score
i’m kinda in the same
boat except for the surround view camera. Can’t add the Advanced Safety Group until after you’ve added Level 2 . . for Laramie at least

I think it’s a sweet feature that id use , but trying to decide if i would be bothered if i went without and saved the $

jastevenson

Reaction score
At least they should’ve offered it with just level 1. Or decreased the price, since all the hardware is already standard on a base Laramie, yet the advanced safety group is still the same price as last year.

Not sure I can spend 55k on a vehicle and not be able to get a 25 year old technology on it without spending 6k more (adaptive cruise has been around since the 90s).

JonUSN

Reaction score
could do that , but instead i’ll just get the ASG on a ram

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea, I saw Ford is offering on the XLT, I'm sure Ram will eventually offer it on the lower trims but it doesn't look like it will be in 2021.

Wch_chip

Reaction score
There's a new safety group on the Bighorns for 21. Same as the Laramie minus the camera.

STR

Reaction score
All features are not available from all manufactures, which is applicable across the board from cell phones to refrigerators. This provides the consumer with choices. In the past 7 years I went from a Ram (4th Gen) to a Ford F-150, to Silverado, and back to a Ram. I chose Ram this time because it had everything that I wanted... for now. I wouldn’t hesitate to go with something else in the future if it was equipped to my liking. People get too hung up on brand loyalty, or whatever. If a truck doesn’t have the features you want, then move on...

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty shocked that there is no way to get adaptive cruise on a 4WD Crew cab without paying 60-70k. I noticed the 2021 F-150 has it on models selling for a fraction of the price.

It’s doubly crazy since all the necessary hardware is available on the $595 package for Big Horn and Tradesman. All that’s missing is an extra switch on the steering wheel.

I can price out a basic Laramie with just the Level 2 and ASG for just over $52k. WIth dealer incentives/rebates/etc., you'll probably be around $45k-ish if you find a fair deal (probably even less if you find a fantastic deal). Not sure where you're getting "60-70k".

The Fords do have a little bit of pricing advantage if you consider just the adaptive cruise, but its not as bad as you make it sound. Ram will answer back, just have to give them a little time.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why? Especially considering that RAM's implementation allows you to revert to "normal" cruise if you wish.

Personally I consider it a must-have feature for long distance driving on the interstate.

Its a pain in the ***, I don’t just set my cruise and follow others 3 truck lengths back. There’s always slower moving vehicles regardless of the highway or interstate and it wanting me to slow down all the time, it’s just annoying. On my wife’s lexus you can’t even disable it, just minimize the car lengths and it still drives me nuts.

Wheeler

Reaction score

No it is way more than a swith. It radar and breaking modules.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Its a pain in the ***, I don’t just set my cruise and follow others 3 truck lengths back. There’s always slower moving vehicles regardless of the highway or interstate and it wanting me to slow down all the time, it’s just annoying. On my wife’s lexus you can’t even disable it, just minimize the car lengths and it still drives me nuts.
Had on my previous chrysler 300 and currently on wife's Acadia. 10 year of ownership probably used 3 times only.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not an adaptive cruise control fan because if you have it that’s all there is (usually). Can’t count how many times I’ve pulled out to pass in a rental and I didn’t realize I’d slowed down. I’d like it for long drives on the freeway but not normally.

If I could I would have gotten it in mine. The RAM has both...normal and adaptive. Drove my dad’s Limited and it’s nice to switch back and forth.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Why? Especially considering that RAM's implementation allows you to revert to "normal" cruise if you wish.

Personally I consider it a must-have feature for long distance driving on the interstate.
Agreed. I use it exclusively. I just change the number of car lengths depending on my speed and traffic density. I probably had it engaged for all but a couple of minutes of my 400-mile trip yesterday, even in light rain.

jastevenson

Reaction score
No it is way more than a swith. It radar and breaking modules.

Forward collision warning with automatic emergency braking is standard on many 2021 Rams. Adaptive cruise uses the same hardware.

Rossum

Reaction score
Of course there are often slower vehicles. But if they're taking up all available lanes, you have to slow down anyway. With a normal cruise, that means fiddling with the controls or tapping the brake first and then matching speed with the accelerator. With adaptive, it handles all that for you, and if it slows down where you don't want it to, you can override it with the accelerator. It will auto-resume the moment you release the loud pedal.

When I first drove a car with ACC back in 2012, it took a while to learn to trust it and become accustomed to it. Shortly thereafter, I took that car on a 2000 mile road trip (PA to FL and back) and quickly decided I'd never buy another vehicle without it, at least not one that I would take on that trip regularly. I do occasionally drive a vehicle on half that trip that only has regular cruise and find it a PITA to have to fiddle-fart around with the normal cruise.

FWIW, I generally set the ACC to 10 over the posted limit. That doesn't make me the fastest vehicle on the road, but I'm certainly not the slowest either.

Users who are viewing this thread