5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camping Tour

LHarv

Reaction score
I am planning a 10 day camping tour for July around my area visiting different camp grounds, national parks, etc.

I own a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited with a payload capacity of 1380lbs. I am looking to rent a 26ft Jayco Travel trailer for the 10 day period. There will be 4 adults with a combined weight of about 650lbs, the trailer hitch weight about 670lbs and then of course we'll have our gear which we can put all of it in the trailer on the trip, if I make this trip with empty tanks as each camp ground will have full service, it is do-able? I don't need a 2500 as we have a cabin and I only tow a boat normally but I'm wondering if this is something I should do just this once with my 1500. I obviously want to be safe but I'm curious to know where most people draw the line.

Any feedback would be appreciated

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends on how comfortable you are towing. You’ll easily be over payload.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning a 10 day camping tour for July around my area visiting different camp grounds, national parks, etc.

I own a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited with a payload capacity of 1380lbs. I am looking to rent a 26ft Jayco Travel trailer for the 10 day period. There will be 4 adults with a combined weight of about 650lbs, the trailer hitch weight about 670lbs and then of course we'll have our gear which we can put all of it in the trailer on the trip, if I make this trip with empty tanks as each camp ground will have full service, it is do-able? I don't need a 2500 as we have a cabin and I only tow a boat normally but I'm wondering if this is something I should do just this once with my 1500. I obviously want to be safe but I'm curious to know where most people draw the line.

Any feedback would be appreciated
I only have about 100 lbs of payload more than you do, and will run out of payload long before I get to a trailer weight that the truck and I would have issues with.

Still, I'm not willing to go over the GVWR or the GCWR of the truck. If I get in an accident, too many problems if I'm over weight. Up to you if that's something you're willing to deal with.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We travel with our fresh water tanks 1/3 full (15 gallons) for added stability and to have a private bathroom at rest areas. Probably wouldn't affect your tongue weight much to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online