5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cam and lifter problem

Bearwhiz

Reaction score
I read about the cam and lifter problems in the 5.7. I'm lookiing at buying a 6.4 for easier towing of my travel trailer. Does the 6.4 have the same problem at the 5.7? If so I'll probably go with the diesel.

ProdigyDude

Reaction score
I read about the cam and lifter problems in the 5.7. I'm lookiing at buying a 6.4 for easier towing of my travel trailer. Does the 6.4 have the same problem at the 5.7? If so I'll probably go with the diesel.

If you have the option to go with a diesel then go for that instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stickabee

Reaction score
I'm not super well-versed in any of this yet having just gotten mine a month ago, but I will say that the "cam and lifter problem" is tied almost without a doubt to the MDS system (lifters failing), which DOES appear to be on the 6.4L. I don't think there's true consensus on whether it's simply a question of disabling the MDS or using particular oils/viscosities or how, if possible, to avoid the failure, but replacing the MDS lifter with non-MDS lifters seems to be the generally accepted "answer". Having said that, I think, if you're willing to go for the diesel in order to avoid the possibility of the MDS failure, that's probably your best option. I'm not a "diesel guy", but if you are, that's your best bet for peace-of-mind and engine longevity.

Users who are viewing this thread