5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Call me Crazy.... Gladiator Rubicon

DeDax

Reaction score
After 2 years with the Ram, and a few trips to the dealership trying to figure out if I wanted to go ahead and lift the ram, mopar, orp, wheels/tires a white Gladiator Rubicon caught my eye. It's fully loaded, Saddle leather, 8.4 uconnect, Led's, alpine, etc. Man is that thing nice. A smidge smaller on the inside but so much more capable. Am I crazy to consider trading my Laramie? Anyone have any specific insight on the Gladiators?

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
To me it would depend on how much and how hard you do off Roading.

i think you give up some road ride comfort with the Jeep vs RAM but definitely add more off road with the Jeep.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
After 2 years with the Ram, and a few trips to the dealership trying to figure out if I wanted to go ahead and lift the ram, mopar, orp, wheels/tires a white Gladiator Rubicon caught my eye. It's fully loaded, Saddle leather, 8.4 uconnect, Led's, alpine, etc. Man is that thing nice. A smidge smaller on the inside but so much more capable. Am I crazy to consider trading my Laramie? Anyone have any specific insight on the Gladiators?
Mmmyeah. Seems crazy to me.

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
Totally, if you're looking for a compact truck with off-road capability. Gladiator Rubicon is competing with a Tacoma TRD Pro, not your RAM. You'll know you're riding in a Jeep, that's for sure. All of your RAM comforts will be missed on the road, but if you want to rock crawl and not worry in water crossings it's a cool truck.

upwindstorm

Reaction score
More capable of fitting in a parking spot probably. when i looked at the gladiators when buying my ram there payload and towing capacities are terrible.

Boston

Reaction score
Hey if you have no kids, no towing needs, money to burn, no time to wait for the Ram equivalent, then get it.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I read an article that they do not have proper off road diff ratios, can't remember the numbers but both options were pretty tall

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not gonna give anyone advice on what truck to buy. It's something you need to decide for yourself. I will say that I test drove a Gladiator when I was shopping for my truck. It wasn't a Rubicon though. They didn't have any of those on the lot at the time. It felt too small inside for my taste. I like the idea of them, but since I rarely go off-road I'm sticking with my Laramie. I might change my mind if I lived in the sticks though.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are significantly smaller on the inside, fuel economy will be worse than your ram, and the Pentastar is an ok engine but it's showing its age.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not gonna give anyone advice on what truck to buy. It's something you need to decide for yourself. I will say that I test drove a Gladiator when I was shopping for my truck. It wasn't a Rubicon though. They didn't have any of those on the lot at the time. It felt too small inside for my taste. I like the idea of them, but since I rarely go off-road I'm sticking with my Laramie. I might change my mind if I lived in the sticks though.

The inside size is a big part of what kept me away. I felt cramped going in and sitting in it

Loved the looks of them and I was in it more for that than the off-road capabilities.

Didn’t even drive it off the lot to test. Tried a Warlock, and then the 1500 I settled on.
That was a weekday. On the weekend I took the wife to see it (was already signed for), and there was a newly arrived 4-door wrangler. So we also looked at that and picked it up ...

Even now driving or getting in the wrangler, I feel tight.

Funny thing.... her son is 6’4” and 350 lbs..... he’s too tall for the backseat in the ram but just fits between the bars in the wrangler

DeDax

Reaction score
So the Ram has been great. But I have been looking to upgrade for functional off road capabilities as my Laramie Sport is non ORP. Basically was looking to add the mopar lift, ORP springs, wheels/tires, etc. Roughly $5k total, but while there I saw the JT Rubicon and was like is that the smarter option. I don't really tow anything significant, a landscape trailer a few times a year maybe, same goes for payload, family trips, luggage, sports equipment for son, HD & Lowes trips but nothing serious. The biggest thing for me is the downsize in space. I have 2 children, 8 & 3 so the space in the Ram is awesome. The off road capabilities, aftermarket support, etc for the JTR is unparalleled and the ability to take the top/doors off from time to time with the wife & kids seems very alluring.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really like the Gladiator Rubicon's but I can't even get in one being 6'8" they are significantly smaller room wise. Depends what you want the truck to do as they are very differant. The Jeep is obviously the best offroader but doen't hold a candle to the Ram when it comes it comes to be a comfortable long distance road trip vehicle.

DeDax

Reaction score
@ 6'8, I doubt there are many vehicles that fit comfortably. :) I thought I was tall @ 6'1, lol. I sat in the Gladiator, the seats are comfortable, but the leg area and center console are def. tighter. I drive the vehicle myself to/from work during the week, and typically we use the wife's comfy SUV for trips. My truck gets used for beach trips, camping/fishing trips and just utility around the house.

DeDax

Reaction score
Perhaps a rebel would be an idea, little more off road prowess but still get to keep the comfort/size.

U

User_3336

you are CRAZY!

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I personally think they're not the best looking vehicles until they've had some after market parts on them. I also wouldn't be able to fit my entire family in it nearly as comfortable as the ram. That being said - if you're into it and want to do it then go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread