5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

California guy looking for a CARB certified CAI system

Tommym

Reaction score
Just when I thought I was close in picking out a Cold Air Induction (CAI) system (S&B or Vararam ) and buying (we are talking like tomorrow), I realized living in California requires that it be CARB Certified. Now, the cheapest solution would be to move, but that ain't happening. There is (when it becomes available) the RAM Airflow for a lot of money. Per this great website "The reason behind the delay has been issues with getting the system certified by the California Air Resources Board (CARB). Since CARB has not officially approved the system, it will not be available in the State of California until it is approved." Are there any CARB certified CAI systems for the 2019 RAM 5.7 Hemi out there? My biggest reason for a CAI system is "looks and sounds boys, just looks and sounds." Thanks, the pain is real. LOL

Bonafide823

Reaction score
I feel your pain man... I've been waiting almost a year for S&B to get carb. It's just this ****ty state... Hate living here

StrangeGuy

Reaction score
I feel your pain man... I've been waiting almost a year for S&B to get carb. It's just this ****ty state... Hate living here
Elections matter. I can only guess that years of conservatives not showing up at the polls also matters. Very beautiful state, it is a shame really that this is even a thread.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
CARB certified intake only matters when you are getting a smog check done, which won't be required until your truck is 5 years old.

So, you don't really need to install a CARB certified intake if you don't want to. Install whatever intake you want and change it back before you sell or trade it in. If you do keep it beyond 5 years, smog test are only done every other year, most intakes are not hard to switch out. 30 minutes of your time every 2 years to switch intakes isn't a big deal.

Even then you may not need to bother. My old Mustang, it didn't have a CARB certified intake or headers and it passed smog test every time. It was also straight piped, but smog test stations don't care just as long as there is a catalytic converter.

I use to live in a state that required annual inspections, I've actually found living in California easier since they don't do any safety inspections on cars and the smog test is only done for older vehicles (After 5 years old) every other year. They don't inspect or smog motorcycles either, which is great since none of my bikes have cats or emissions equipment.

Last edited:
R

Rob5589

^^^^ Exactly. The issue you may run in to is trying to get something shipped in from out of state. If so, get a friend out of CA to be a go between.

rsmeanie

Reaction score
These guys are correct. No need to worry for 5 years. I have a Corsa intake on my 2006 300 SRT and every other year, I reinstall the factory intake (it's a 10 min job) and go get my inspection. Just store it away somewhere. I plan to buy the Ram AirFlow when ever it comes out whether it's CARB certified or not.

Here's the Corsa on my 300. It's just a couple of bolts and an air sensor swap. Easy peasy.

17311207_10212912323629137_3742319111015140480_o.jpg

Tommym

Reaction score
"Here's the Corsa on my 300. It's just a couple of bolts and an air sensor swap. Easy peasy."

That really looks nice.

I was just hoping to go a different route this time. A RAM Airflow WOULD be nice except for the cost. But, maybe...maybe

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahaha hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bonafide823

Reaction score
Still no carb intakes... I'll be doing a lot of commuting in February back and forth to base. Already ordered a tonneau cover. Thinking if I should just get a k&n filter now. Probably gonna go with a cat back system for gas mileage too

Kob0583

Reaction score
The Stock CAI is CARB just swap it between inspections

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread