5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

California Gas Pumps getting caught in gas nozzle

Derek916

Reaction score
I've been experiencing an issue with the gas nozzle getting stuck in my truck and was told by my local service dealer it is a California pump issue (have tried Costco, Shell, and a grocery gas station) Sometimes it isn't bad, and other times it is horrible. Today the gas pump was telling me to return the pump to the station. I asked another Ram 1500 5th gen owner if he has the same issue and he said yes. Are there any other ram owners experiencing this issue? I am supposed to be scheduled by my dealer to fix my MFT issue so I am thinking of asking to replace my fuel neck as well. Here is a video of my experience today. Any recommendations?

Derek916

Reaction score
you should have posted here
That seems to be a different problem with the gas nozzle clicking off. In my case, the nozzle doesn't come out without a lot of hand wriggling

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had an intermittent issue where it was kinda hard to get the nozzle out. Not a big deal, but maybe took a couple of times of pulling and moving the pump a bit to come out. But then one time, at a Costco station, I couldn't get the nozzle out for almost a minute or two of trying. It was freaking me out, I thought for sure I had a serious issue.

However, after trying a few things, I found that positioning the nozzle straight up, as vertical as I could get it and then pulling it straight up worked. Ever since then, I haven't had a single issue. I wonder if by doing that I enlarged some sort of flange inside the fill tube that no longer makes it an issue for me? I doesn't even get a little stuck anymore like it used to, which is great.

Either way, if it happens to you again, try putting the gas pump vertical and pull up. It should come straight out.

Last edited:

Derek916

Reaction score
Alright, seems like the issue is isolated to just a few trucks. I will push my dealer to fix it
I had an intermittent issue where it was kinda hard to get the nozzle out. Not a big deal, but maybe took a couple of times of pulling and moving the pump a bit to come out. But then one time, at a Costco station, I couldn't get the nozzle out for almost a minute or two of trying. It was freaking me out, I thought for sure I had a serious issue.

However, after trying a few things, I found that positioning the nozzle straight up, as vertical as I could get it and then pulling it straight up worked. Ever since then, I haven't had a single issue. I wonder if by doing that I enlarged some sort of flange inside the fill tube that no longer makes it an issue for me? I doesn't even get a little stuck anymore like it used to, which is great.

Either way, if it happens to you again, try putting the gas pump vertical and pull up. It should come straight out.
I will try that but it doesn't seem like I can make it much more vertical being that the nozzle is locked into the tube. I'm also going to try to see if it will fill without putting the nozzle all the way in. I assume you don't have to actively think about how you're putting the nozzle in? I really don't want to have to give up Costco gas for the savings lol..

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Alright, seems like the issue is isolated to just a few trucks. I will push my dealer to fix it

I will try that but it doesn't seem like I can make it much more vertical being that the nozzle is locked into the tube. I'm also going to try to see if it will fill without putting the nozzle all the way in. I assume you don't have to actively think about how you're putting the nozzle in? I really don't want to have to give up Costco gas for the savings lol..

Actually, that was my original strategy to avoid having any issues at first, not pushing the nozzle in too far, it seemed easier to come out. If I pushed the nozzle a bit more in, it seemed to created a bigger struggle to get it out. But I honestly haven't had a single issue since that one incident when it got really stuck. I haven't had a chance to retest it again because zero issues since then.

I watched your video, I would have pushed it in further, then put the pump into the near vertical position, then pulled up and out. t's a rather unique angle, the back of the pump should be facing up in the air before you pull out. To be accurate it's not vertical, but as far as you can put it physically before you pull up and out.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
thankfully no issues on my end, I have been using arco since prices went crazy. Before that either 76 or mobil with no issues.
I have sam's membership but the one with a gas station is too far and always pack

Derek916

Reaction score
Actually, that was my original strategy to avoid having any issues at first, not pushing the nozzle in too far, it seemed easier to come out. If I pushed the nozzle a bit more in, it seemed to created a bigger struggle to get it out. But I honestly haven't had a single issue since that one incident when it got really stuck. I haven't had a chance to retest it again because zero issues since then.

I watched your video, I would have pushed it in further, then put the pump into the near vertical position, then pulled up and out. t's a rather unique angle, the back of the pump should be facing up in the air before you pull out. To be accurate it's not vertical, but as far as you can put it physically before you pull up and out.
Sounds like you broke it in a good way…I wouldn’t mind that haha.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Sounds like you broke it in a good way…I wouldn’t mind that haha.

I think so, I may have widen something in there, considering I've had zero issues since. Not a single time has it caught, not even a little, its like a normal car now lol.

But since that incident, I'm never worried about it anymore. I know that if for some reason it gets stuck again, I have a method to get it out.

MurdaRam

Reaction score
I used to have issues with my 2019, difficulty fueling (constant clicking) and fuel nozzle getting stuck as well. Ever since the dealer did the TSB and replaced the filler neck I’ve had zero issues.

Derek916

Reaction score
I used to have issues with my 2019, difficulty fueling (constant clicking) and fuel nozzle getting stuck as well. Ever since the dealer did the TSB and replaced the filler neck I’ve had zero issues.
Do you happen to know which TSB? Although my truck is a 22 so I doubt it applies. I was recommended to try fueling with the nozzle upside down so I will test this method today as that is the working solution for many grand cherokees with same issue.

MurdaRam

Reaction score
Do you happen to know which TSB? Although my truck is a 22 so I doubt it applies. I was recommended to try fueling with the nozzle upside down so I will test this method today as that is the working solution for many grand cherokees with same issue.
I believe it’s this one

Attachments

• Canister TSB Fueling.pdf
    94.3 KB · Views: 5

Derek916

Reaction score
Update to this - I put the nozzle in at a 2 or 3 o clock angle and it came out with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread