5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Calibrate Electric Parking Brakes

Zolazar

Reaction score
So I screwed up... Decided to change the rotors and pads on my truck. I've changed the brakes on all the vehicles I've ever owned. Was warned... "you can't change your brakes, it's got electronic brakes. You NEED the computer yada yada.." I called BS!

Long story short, I knew about the option in the menu to perform brake service/retraction going into it. I pressed the Perform Brake service, said it was complete. IMO this part could be much clearer... It then tells you afterward put foot on brake pedal and pull the EPB. Did this, and proceeded to watch it extended brake pistons ALL the way out... F**k! I removed the calipers on both sides, manually screwed the EPB "actuator??" all the way in, fingered the pistons back in, reassembled on truck, had friend take to store to get brake fluid and bled the brakes. Whew, thought I was going to have to have it towed to a dealer. Fortunately the brakes, hydraulically work great!

To my issue. I believe the truck thinks the EPB is all the way out but it's not because I manually screwed it all the way in. The "Service Parking Brake" message comes up when attempting to apply EPB and the BRAKE light constantly blinks. If I don't touch it for a while the lights will go out. Attempting the EPB again brings errors back.

I've tried waiting for the lights to go out, perform the "service brakes" function again, which is successful but then lights come back on when trying to use the EPB again.

I think the computer needs to be reset or told the EPB actuator is all the in. Anyone know how I can reset this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I tried googling but couldn't find anything.

PS
If you read all the way to the end! I thank you! I tried to keep it short and sweet.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
So I screwed up... Decided to change the rotors and pads on my truck. I've changed the brakes on all the vehicles I've ever owned. Was warned... "you can't change your brakes, it's got electronic brakes. You NEED the computer yada yada.." I called BS!

Long story short, I knew about the option in the menu to perform brake service/retraction going into it. I pressed the Perform Brake service, said it was complete. IMO this part could be much clearer... It then tells you afterward put foot on brake pedal and pull the EPB. Did this, and proceeded to watch it extended brake pistons ALL the way out... F**k! I removed the calipers on both sides, manually screwed the EPB "actuator??" all the way in, fingered the pistons back in, reassembled on truck, had friend take to store to get brake fluid and bled the brakes. Whew, thought I was going to have to have it towed to a dealer. Fortunately the brakes, hydraulically work great!

To my issue. I believe the truck thinks the EPB is all the way out but it's not because I manually screwed it all the way in. The "Service Parking Brake" message comes up when attempting to apply EPB and the BRAKE light constantly blinks. If I don't touch it for a while the lights will go out. Attempting the EPB again brings errors back.

I've tried waiting for the lights to go out, perform the "service brakes" function again, which is successful but then lights come back on when trying to use the EPB again.

I think the computer needs to be reset or told the EPB actuator is all the in. Anyone know how I can reset this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I tried googling but couldn't find anything.

PS
If you read all the way to the end! I thank you! I tried to keep it short and sweet.

I can not help you but have a question.
how many miles do you have that needs brakes already?

Josh405

Reaction score
Subscribing to this post, so are you saying you put your foot on the pedal and hit the EPB before you put the calipers back on the rotors?

Zolazar

Reaction score
Subscribing to this post, so are you saying you put your foot on the pedal and hit the EPB before you put the calipers back on the rotors?
Yes. I had the calipers removed already. I was going through my usual process. Remove calipers, remove caliper bracket, replace rotor, reinstall bracket, compress cylinder and install new pads. So I had calipers off with no pads when I went to push perform brake service button.

It says please wait for about a 30secs, then comes up and says "Park Break retracted. To reset, press brake pedal and activate park brake" I at the time misunderstood and thought this was telling me to do something as part of the retraction process. As soon as I realized what it was doing I knew I'd screwed up.

Thanks for help and not whipping me to bad for the dumb mistake. 😂 There's got to be a way to recalibrate the damn thing.

Zolazar

Reaction score
I can not help you but have a question.
how many miles do you have that needs brakes already?
I've got 2019 with 60k. They did not "need" to be changed! One wheel was squealing, driving me nuts. I tow a boat and decided to upgrade to some PowerStop pads. I had read some early models, mine has an early 2018 manufactured date had a squeak issue and I assumed previous owner didn't get them changed. They had probably 50%-%60 life left on them. Had to stop the squeak!

Zolazar

Reaction score
Yes, I have. Should have mentioned that. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

tsbbartholomew1

Reaction score
Have you retried doing the "service brake" procedure again on the computer with everything together...thinking this may reset the system but only a guess

Zolazar

Reaction score
Have you retried doing the "service brake" procedure again on the computer with everything together...thinking this may reset the system but only a guess
I have. A couple of times. I can hear the actuators moving and it says it's completed. But when I try the EPB again, they make noise for a second and then Service Parking Brake warning comes back up.

Thanks!

Thomasp4920

Reaction score
At this point you will need access to a scan tool to check for codes and try running the EPB maintenance mode.

Zolazar

Reaction score
At this point you will need access to a scan tool to check for codes and try running the EPB maintenance mode.
I do have a friend with access to scan tool tablet style. There were no codes when we scanned. He did think he needed to update his tool to get specific options for new vehicles.

Is there a EPB maintenance mode? Can AlphaOBD do it? I've been looking at buying that anyways.

Thanks!

kd908070

Reaction score
Follow up my result - I had the same issue with Zolazar mentioned above. I removed the whole calipers off the truck, screw in the actuator by hand, then pushed the cylinder back in (also by hand).
1 important thing, you need turn it back and front until it lock on the actuator before you can push it in by hand.
Now, I installed the caliper back on and bled the brake fluid.
I press the brake pedal until I can feel the pressure.
Turn on the truck, all the light came on: Parking brake, ABS, AWD not available, traction control not available.
I keep press the brake pedal, manually active the Parking Brake, then released it, drove slowly for a short distance, then active and release the Parking Brake again, then drove away again.
After doing it for a few times, everything is back to normal, all the light went away, no more issue.
My truck has done fine since then.
Just want to share to everyone if that ever happens to you.

Mattyhooks

Reaction score

PS
A few weeks ago I did the exact same thing you did... I misunderstood the reset instructions and hit the brake pedal and pulled the EPB switch. This caused the caliper pistons to eject out. I put them back in, but had so much trouble manually screwing them in, got super frustrated, and used a 12 volt battery with some wire to "trick" the actuator into retracting. After reinstalling the calipers, driving is normal, with no dragging of the brakes.

However I have similar symptoms - "Service Park Brake" message on dash, Flashing "BRAKE", and solid brake icon illuminated. I've cycled through Park Brake Service on the Uconnect, got the messages to disappear, but occasionally when I start up the truck they reappear. I've gotten it to disappear, and when activating the switch, lights immediately come back on.

I purchase AlfaOBD and you can do a few things. First under ABS System you can run and clear codes. Mine that appear are C10EA (Left Park Brake Actuator) and C10EC (Park Brake Actuator Correlation). Therefore I believe you are correct into thinking the system needs reset or recalibrated. When running Active Diagnosis, you can engage/disengage both left and rear actuators individually or together and play around with it. As of today, 4/17/23, I have not been able resolve the issue or figured out how to recalibrate the system. Its so weird that code C10EA has the description "System internal failures", yet I can still retract and engage the EPB.

Were you able to fix this without the dealership? I tried what kd908070 recommended with no luck.

kd908070

Reaction score
Do you hear the actuators moving in/out when you perform the reset? Have you tried to disconnect the battery for few min.?

Mattyhooks

Reaction score
Here is what I can do and I finally was able to write it down and can reproduce.

1) Go into Uconnect settings and activate brake service, I hear both actuators whining.

2) In AlfaOBD apply the left actuator, apply the right actuator, I hear both whining noises.

3) Deactivate brake service, then clear codes.

All lights on the dash disappear. I drive around my normal day, truck on/off multiple times, no issues with brakes dragging or EPB engaged. I have hooked up AlfaOBD and checked for codes with nothing.

If I activate the EPB switch, all lights reappear instantly, and AlfaOBD shows code C10EA and C10EC.

I haven't been able to figure out exactly what I did to reproduce, but occasionally, I can activate the EPB switch and the actuators whine and I cannot move. The only way to get out of it is by activating/deactivating Brake Service. I also have trouble activating and deactivating the actuators through AlfaOBD. They only seem to only operate after activating/deactivating Brake Service. This leads me to believe it is a calibration issue or perhaps the EPB switch or wire was fried.

I also haven't tried disconnecting the battery since aquiring AlfaOBD. I have disconnected the battery multiple times in the past and let it sit overnight in hopes it resolves itself, but no luck. Through my research with theses systems, I have found that you are not supposed disconnect the wiring connectors from the actuators without unplugging the negative battery terminal. Or perhaps there is a disconnect procedure through the EPB module that I did not follow.

kd908070

Reaction score
sorry I can't think how to troubleshoot the issue. Bringing the truck to the dealer is the last option I guess. Hope it's not too expensive to fix. Please keep us updated if you're able to fix. Good luck.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here is what I can do and I finally was able to write it down and can reproduce.

1) Go into Uconnect settings and activate brake service, I hear both actuators whining.

2) In AlfaOBD apply the left actuator, apply the right actuator, I hear both whining noises.

3) Deactivate brake service, then clear codes.

All lights on the dash disappear. I drive around my normal day, truck on/off multiple times, no issues with brakes dragging or EPB engaged. I have hooked up AlfaOBD and checked for codes with nothing.

If I activate the EPB switch, all lights reappear instantly, and AlfaOBD shows code C10EA and C10EC.

I haven't been able to figure out exactly what I did to reproduce, but occasionally, I can activate the EPB switch and the actuators whine and I cannot move. The only way to get out of it is by activating/deactivating Brake Service. I also have trouble activating and deactivating the actuators through AlfaOBD. They only seem to only operate after activating/deactivating Brake Service. This leads me to believe it is a calibration issue or perhaps the EPB switch or wire was fried.

I also haven't tried disconnecting the battery since aquiring AlfaOBD. I have disconnected the battery multiple times in the past and let it sit overnight in hopes it resolves itself, but no luck. Through my research with theses systems, I have found that you are not supposed disconnect the wiring connectors from the actuators without unplugging the negative battery terminal. Or perhaps there is a disconnect procedure through the EPB module that I did not follow.
I have a feeling you’ll be getting some new rear calipers.

Mattyhooks

Reaction score
I have an appointment tomorrow. Hopefully they can fix without replacing the actuators or module...

Users who are viewing this thread