5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cabin vents - where are they?

parnine

Reaction score
Are these vents?

This picture was posted by another member after his truck was hit and wrecked in an accident. They look like vents but that would be strange, does anyone know what these are? If vents how do you close them? Are they on all the DTs?

Ram cab backside.JPG

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cabin Vents

you can't "close them" .. they have been in many trucks for years ..

Klute

Reaction score
Hmmm, I wonder if these vents fix the thumping sound while driving with the windows open? It was really bad in my 2011 Ram Quad Cab but not an issue in the 19 crew cab. I just thought it was the diff between cab styles.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These are standard vents used on all cars. They have rubber flappers on them so they are effectively one way vents out of the cab. Lets you slam the doors and run the AC fan on full blast with recirc turned off (the air has to go somewhere, right?)

There is another thread here about cabin noise through these vents that can be fixed for most with the addition of a lower seal between the cab and bed. I installed said seal to prevent the large, IMHO, amount of dirt coming into my cab through these vents.

Also, since virtually every car on the road has these somewhere, it does not stop the thumping air problem. I can assure you that your 2011 Ram had them too. The only fix for the thumping is to crack another window. For those with the pano sunroof, Ram engineered it to stop at ~90% open claiming it reduces the thumping. I can testify that it works.

trixdesigns

Reaction score
These are standard vents used on all cars. They have rubber flappers on them so they are effectively one way vents out of the cab. Lets you slam the doors and run the AC fan on full blast with recirc turned off (the air has to go somewhere, right?)

There is another thread here about cabin noise through these vents that can be fixed for most with the addition of a lower seal between the cab and bed. I installed said seal to prevent the large, IMHO, amount of dirt coming into my cab through these vents.

Also, since virtually every car on the road has these somewhere, it does not stop the thumping air problem. I can assure you that your 2011 Ram had them too. The only fix for the thumping is to crack another window. For those with the pano sunroof, Ram engineered it to stop at ~90% open claiming it reduces the thumping. I can testify that it works.

Hit the sunroof button one extra time and you’ll get it 100% open (the front one of course, the back glass is static). I’d wondered why they did that and guessing this might be the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hit the sunroof button one extra time and you’ll get it 100% open (the front one of course, the back glass is static). I’d wondered why they did that and guessing this might be the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's how I can testify that Ram's solution works. It's clearly documented in the manual.

Users who are viewing this thread