5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cabin Filter Stain

jkm312

Reaction score
771C4DB9-FB01-43AE-9671-7E0E364DC047.jpeg

I wanted to just clean up the cabin filter this afternoon and found it looking like this on the top side of it. At first I thought it might be the windshield washer fluid, but there is no signs of leakage around the fittings under the hood. The nozzles work as they should. The antifreeze is stable on the dip stick, engine temps are normal, no antifreeze smell anywhere. or window fogging, dry floor. The filter shown is a year old, not that much dirt in it, but I replaced it this afternoon. The only thing that might make sense is the soap and rinses from the car wash is being washed into the intake vent below the windshield. Anyone have a different idea or know what it is. The blinker fluid I use is bright yellow so that's not it.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Check your cowl drain and AC drain as soon as you can. The water shouldn’t have made it to the filter

jkm312

Reaction score
Check your cowl drain and AC drain as soon as you can. The water shouldn’t have made it to the filter
Both cowl drains and AC drain are draining. Poured a couple bucks of water down the windshield, watched it run out behind the mud flaps. A little heavier out the driver's side, but these trucks lean that way a little anyway. Went back thru the car wash and pulled the cabin filter, it's dry. I'm going to guess it can happen in the winter because of the cold. I tend to clean it up in the winter when it's cold enough to keep the streets "freeze dried." Never saw much point in it when the sand, salt and snow melt is running in the streets.

I agree the filter should not look like that, I just don't know why it happened.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I agree it looks like car wash soap. I believe if you set your air flow to to "recirc" when you go through the wash, it should close the fresh air door and keep that filter dry.

jkm312

Reaction score
I agree it looks like car wash soap. I believe if you set your air flow to to "recirc" when you go through the wash, it should close the fresh air door and keep that filter dry.
That makes sense. Thank you.

zlman

Reaction score
Last winter, my filter got wet(snow, car wash, who knows). -30 one day and no cabin heat, took it to the dealer and 1st thing they checked was the filter. Froze solid, wouldn't allow airflow. So yes, for whatever reason water does sometimes get in there.

jkm312

Reaction score
Last winter, my filter got wet(snow, car wash, who knows). -30 one day and no cabin heat, took it to the dealer and 1st thing they checked was the filter. Froze solid, wouldn't allow airflow. So yes, for whatever reason water does sometimes get in there.
At -30 I wouldn't even start, I'm sure the truck would, but not me these days. Retirement does give one a few choices. Sorry you had to be out in it.

Users who are viewing this thread