5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cabin filter filled with snow

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone had their cabin filter pack full of snow? Went through 2 Canadian winters with my 2020 and never had an issue, first snowstorm with my 2022 and I lost all air through my vents while driving causing my windshield to freeze up on the inside. Not very safe in -40 windchills and 50mph winds.

This is an extreme blizzard right now, so maybe it’s just a fluke. Hopefully not a reoccurring problem. Ecodiesel in 4wd with tow haul mode handles the 2ft drifts without any issues tho. Filled up my fuel tank yesterday and added winter anti gel to prepare for the crazy temps.

Tried to keep recirculate on the rest of the drive home and discovered that it returns to fresh air on its own every so often.

Attachments

• 7EB44D5B-9491-44E4-BCAA-62C1DDE36AAD.jpeg
    7EB44D5B-9491-44E4-BCAA-62C1DDE36AAD.jpeg
    205.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I should check mine. Been running deep drifts all day with snow packed under my hood.🤔

smashweights

Reaction score
I can't imagine snowflakes getting sucked as ll the way into there. They would have to go through the wiper grate, sideways around the frame then up and setting the air chute and down into the filter. You sure it's not frozen condensation? Pictures for the visual folks.

Attachments

• PXL_20220717_204740099.jpg
    PXL_20220717_204740099.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 74
  • PXL_20220717_205409875.jpg
    PXL_20220717_205409875.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 71

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It looked just like snow to me, all of the pleats were packed and some loose snow was on top of the filter. It happened suddenly and I had the fan speed on 4 or 5 while driving through blowing snow and whiteouts.

So many accidents and stuck vehicles in my area, I wish people would get the message and just stay home when it’s like this. My brother works at a quick lube shop and they were busy all day with customers.

Most roads in town had multiple vehicles stuck and people who weren’t properly dressed for -40 windchills trying to push, what a crazy storm for December.

Ontop of all this my remote start doesn’t work due to a check engine light related to a NoX sensor. Been waiting since mid September for that and still no eta. Unfortunately getting camvap (canada’s lemon law) and customer care involved after the holidays.

jkm312

Reaction score
That is definitely snow in your cabin filter. I've seen enough of it lately to know snow when I see it. 1671897764120.png

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
More than likely it was just a fluke . The conditions were just right for it to happen . With the truck bringing in outside air through the filter and the blowing snow ( white out conditions ) it just sucks in the air with the snow and with the freezing temperatures the snow doesn’t have enough time to melt before it get sucked into the air intake .

NJC1684

Reaction score
Same happened to me today. I had to pull over and remove the filter in order for my windshield to defrost. Truck had been outside for a couple of days.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same happened to me today. I had to pull over and remove the filter in order for my windshield to defrost. Truck had been outside for a couple of days.
I think that could have had something to do with it, the high winds and blowing snow forcing it under the shroud and into the hvac intake. Once turned on and warmed up it moves to the filter and clogs it right up.

Does anyone know if the recirc door stays closed if you switch from fresh to recirc right before parking the truck? This could possibly prevent this issue.

zlman

Reaction score
Happened to my 2020 this week. Never thought to check the filter and took it to my dealer who discovered exactly what you have pictured. This is a first for me in 3 winters with this truck.

Users who are viewing this thread