5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cabin air exchange while on the freeway?

Sardis333

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have taken a few road trips in my '22 1500. I have noticed that periodically it feels like the inside air is exchanged. Thst is the best description I can come up with... It seems like a flap opens, there is an audible noise as outside air enters the cabin, and hot air gushes inside the cabin for just a moment. Like a flap opens the closes...

Has anyone experienced this? Is this a normal thing?

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are you running with the climate control set to "Auto"? It might be cycling between outside and and recirculate

Clv22p

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have taken a few road trips in my '22 1500. I have noticed that periodically it feels like the inside air is exchanged. Thst is the best description I can come up with... It seems like a flap opens, there is an audible noise as outside air enters the cabin, and hot air gushes inside the cabin for just a moment. Like a flap opens the closes...

Has anyone experienced this? Is this a normal thing?
I’ve noticed the same thing. It’s definitely an air change or something like that. It does it in both auto and manual climate modes

beetlespin

Reaction score
I've noticed it also. I do not have the "Auto" setting so it isn't that.

Majortom

Reaction score
I’ve experienced it as well. Only at highway speed on extended drives.

gpbst3

Reaction score
I think I have experienced something similar but it feels like a door seal was compromised and let in air

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably programmed in to give a bump in O2 to keep you from getting sleepy.
Sometimes the CO2 and O2 levels can get out of whack and this can cause drowsiness. A quick flush with outside air will purge the "bad" air.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
This has come up before. It's obviously programmed, but whether it is to flush stale air with fresh or to defrost the AC evaporator, we don't know. And asking RamCares to inquire of the engineering types who would know got nowhere. On a long drive from Las Vegas back to LA when my truck was only a week or so old, it did it about every 16 minutes. The fact that it was so consistent made me decide it was programmed, not going haywire.

Users who are viewing this thread