5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cab Over America Cab Markers (LED)

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well at least I was good for a laugh then.
Sorry, I'm terrible with subtleties, sarcasm and hints, which are even harder to catch in writing so that's not uncommon for me on forums. But you got a laugh, and everyone else got some information on why cab lights are even a thing. So win-win. Good to know we've kept it entertaining. 😊
Hey I was thinking the same thing. Any vehicle over 80" overall width, per the DOT, has to have 3 center mounted lights plus marker lights at the edges of the vehicle. This means that if you have wheel spacers, deep negative offset wheels, or wider tires and you get over that 80" mark you should have these lights as well as fender flares to cover the tire if it extends past the edge of the vehicle. Do police enforce this? I've never seen it, but technically it's law in almost every state. Doesn't matter if the HD bros think you're trying to be a "big boy truck" or not.

Considering I've seen too many turd tacos (TRD Tacomas) with the 3 center lights in the grill trying to copy the Raptor at their 70" track width I'll pass on putting the lights on myself, even if I step over the 80".

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is the PDF Template that I Made to add Cab Lights to my 1500 Laramie including links:

Malodave

Attachments

• CabLights1.pdf
    341 KB · Views: 22
  • 2021RAMLaramie-LEER-122_1.jpg
    2021RAMLaramie-LEER-122_1.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 18

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice work on the template!! I've installed several sets of cab lights over the years and never took the time to do something like that. Way to help the community out.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice work on the template!! I've installed several sets of cab lights over the years and never took the time to do something like that. Way to help the community out.

Just go to a Print Shop that does Blueprints/Reprographics with the file. I think it cost me $5 to print it at 100% in B&W.
The lights I used have a Black and White wire. The Black is positive and the White is negative. When I made the Harness up I just soldered the Black Wire to Red and the White Wire to Black.

Malodave

GreatWhite

Reaction score
OP they look good. I've seen them too, but I couldn't bring myself to spend the money. Not that they're bad, just my own issues with them.

Are you still happy with them now that they've been on your truck for about a month?

That was one of my issue with them. Way too expensive, for having to be turned on/off manually. I might have consider the price reasonable if they worked with your marker lights, but it bugged me that you had to turn them on/off each time. I know it's a small thing, but it bugged me just the same.
Maybe they could have a sensor that is plugged inline to one of the corner markers. That sensor sends the on/off signal to the cab lights when the marker lights turn on/off instead of using a remote.
My other issue was that I park in garage so I doubt they'd run long for me.

From what I read they resolved the sync issue by disabling the flash option that they used to have. They are only on/off now, which allegedly prevents them from getting out of sync with each other.

What does it being a 1500 have to do with anything? Technically speaking you don't need them on a 2500 or SRW 3500 either. The only truck that has to have them is a Dually because the DOT requires them for vehicles over 80" wide (that's why they have the 3 red lights on the rear too).
Speaking of, the TRX (a 1500) has them in the hood scoop. This is obviously an attempt by Dodge to be compliant with DOT regulation, by mounting them on the vertical centerline per the exception outlined in footnote 1 of the code. 49CFR393.11

At the end of the day, cab lights are a DOT requirement to alert traffic that a vehicle greater than 80" wide is approaching. Nothing more, nothing less. It doesn't signify it's capacity, or as HD or anything like that.
So if you're laughing at people who have them but don't need them, you should be laughing at 2500 owners with them too. Yet you can buy it from the factory with them on a 2500. So if they're good for a 2500, they're good for a 1500.
Sir, this is a wendys....

Take a joke man LOL

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just go to a Print Shop that does Blueprints/Reprographics with the file. I think it cost me $5 to print it at 100% in B&W.
That seems easier than manually measuring everything out, and then using masking tape to mark the locations of al my holes. That should help many people out when doing their own installs.

Sir, this is a wendys....

Take a joke man LOL
Haven't we already covered that I missed a joke?
Although, I still question if it was a joke, since people try to look down on others for doing mods like this all the time. Was it a joke or a matter of back pedaling after being called on it? I'll assume a joke since that's what the responses say.

As for missing jokes. Sadly, I missed yours too. I had to look it up. I figured it was a movie quote or something, but apparently it was a meme from a few years ago. Man, I'm getting out of touch. I'll go sit in my rocker and eat my Werther's Originals now. 🧓

Users who are viewing this thread