5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cab Clearance Lights With Pano Roof, tried, failed, can not be installed.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had my truck at the installer this morning to install cab clearance lights. Went with the newer model low profile 3 piece GM lights because they are the smallest we could find and I have limited room due to the pano roof. Once the installer took down the headliner to look, noticed that on the edges, where the outer two lights would be, there were multiple levels of metal and the frame for the pano. There was not much room at all to even install the screws for the light and he was also afraid if we did manage to get them on, the lights would not seal properly because he has experience with installing lights with limited space like this and due to the natural flex of the cab around the pano the screws have worked loose or the light itself crack. We maybe could have with lots of caulk and jackin around but I didn’t want to make a mess on top of my new truck’s cab and take a higher than necessary chance of a leak trying to force them to work. The center light would have worked. Therefore we decided against doing this, don’t want any leaks on top around all the wiring above the headliner! Anyone else try this. I know there are a couple threads discussing cab lights but none I found about an actual install so I created this one. If any moderators feel this should be moved to one of those threads please do so.

Last edited:

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just to add to this, I have been researching the cab/windshield visors with built in lights. Have found some for the ‘19 Classic since they are the same as previous models but not the new DT. Don’t know if the visors are possible since the clearance lights were not, at least not without risks. Just curious if anyone has seen visors for the ‘19 DT I may have missed.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I also was going to add clearance lights like I had on my 4th gen. I don’t have a pano roof so that opened up a ton of space for doing so. Just couldn’t really wrap my head around how they would look on the “ DT “ style roof.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also was going to add clearance lights like I had on my 4th gen. I don’t have a pano roof so that opened up a ton of space for doing so. Just couldn’t really wrap my head around how they would look on the “ DT “ style roof.
I ‘m the same way but willing to give it a shot. IMO when I put my 35’s back on this spring the cab lights may add to the 3/4 ton pickup look?:unsure:

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since I haven’t figured out the cab light situation yet, I did add 98E50B24-6B16-488E-89E6-B39F0BF80070.jpeg some marker lights up front today. Obviously I did post this on the “What did you do to your Ram today” thread but I’ll post a pic here also. What the heck.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My only concern is with the durability of using that double sided tape on the roof. I know that it is used on several other places on our trucks with no issues, so I’m assuming the same will occur roof wise ?

JK47TheWeapon

Reaction score
My only concern is with the durability of using that double sided tape on the roof. I know that it is used on several other places on our trucks with no issues, so I’m assuming the same will occur roof wise ?

Have no fear.

3M tested their VHB 4950 tape, which is pretty standard, for 300k simulated miles on a semi-truck that had it's doors and a walls of the trailer held together only by tape.

They also have video of semi trucks playing tug of war and pulling each other by cables connected with VHB.

That only time you need to be concerned with 3M super strength VHB auto tape is if you live somewhere that reaches -58 degrees f or over 150 degrees f. If those apply, there are VHB alternatives made for it. High temp VHB works up to 480 degrees f.

They key is to make sure you apply it 70-80f.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score

krakenatwork

Reaction score
wireless/no drill, solar powered LED...$398 shipped
clear, smoked or amber
3-mode remote control > low, high, strobe
Only thing that's missing IMHO is a module that connects to the truck's lighting system and acts as a remote when you turn your truck's lights, no fiddling with a fob required.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only thing that's missing IMHO is a module that connects to the truck's lighting system and acts as a remote when you turn your truck's lights, no fiddling with a fob required.
I agree, would be nice just to have them come on automatically but I guess I should just be happy that they are no drill and will work with having a pano roof!

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have no fear.

3M tested their VHB 4950 tape, which is pretty standard, for 300k simulated miles on a semi-truck that had it's doors and a walls of the trailer held together only by tape.

They also have video of semi trucks playing tug of war and pulling each other by cables connected with VHB.

That only time you need to be concerned with 3M super strength VHB auto tape is if you live somewhere that reaches -58 degrees f or over 150 degrees f. If those apply, there are VHB alternatives made for it. High temp VHB works up to 480 degrees f.

They key is to make sure you apply it 70-80f.

Re: "They key is to make sure you apply it 70-80f."
>>>AND to apply it to a fastidiously clean surface, following the VHB tape manufacturer's instructions, and press hard on the item to get a strong bond while the adhesive is brand-new, and make certain that the bond is good all the way to the edges of the tape (because the edges is where lifting-off/peeling begins, of course).

As much as I like and respect the manufacturer mentioned, this type of testing (marketing media, actually) is done under absolutely ideal conditions, perfectly applied by their engineers/technicians, new tape (not tape that's been in use and weathered for 20 years), controlled conditions, etc. They do prove their point, and their VHB tapes are certainly good products when properly applied, but common sense tells you that the manufacturers are stacking the deck in favor of their product, not necessarily depicting what happens under real-world conditions after years of weathering, etc. BTW, do your own survey as you drive on the highways. Glance at the semi-trailers and determine the percentage on the road that are actually held together only by VHB tape for the sidewalls, i.e. no rivets at the panel edges. Years ago when I dealt directly with VHB tape manufacturers, they all touted how semi-trailer's boxes (sidewalls & ceilings) were being built using VHB tape for all of the sidewall & ceiling panels. But when I started glancing at each trailer I passed on the highway, I saw very, very few that weren't still riveted together. Just my observation, albeit a number of years ago.

I have specified industrial machine designs using various types of VHB ("very high bond") tapes for certain panels on the machines, and in all cases, the manufacturer strongly recommends that you use their specific primer for a given type of VHB. The requirement to use the manufacturer's primer may not apply to these small lights on truck exteriors, but I just wanted to point out that successful application of VHB adhesive tapes isn't a no-brainer -as with any product, one has to use good sense, research the proper application of the product, and do the application correctly. For these small clearance lights, with very little in the way of load applied to them (basically, aerodynamic loads and some vibration, maybe a bit of applied load during vehicle washing), and assuming they are properly adhered, they'll likely provide years of service before the VHB tape fails.

Too bad they don't just use high-power magnets to hold these lights to the vehicle...oh, wait, Ford screwed that one up with their aluminum trucks ;-)

akra11

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread