5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bypass cable 2023 1500 limited

ocwill1

Reaction score
Looking at alphaobd and looks like a need a bypass cable. does it have to be the one on the kaodtech page, or can the ones on amazon work. Looking to get it done this weekend and amazon would be the quickest. What is everyone using..

Wirerat

Reaction score
Looking at alphaobd and looks like a need a bypass cable. does it have to be the one on the kaodtech page, or can the ones on amazon work. Looking to get it done this weekend and amazon would be the quickest. What is everyone using..
I have the koadtech adapter. Stays installed all the time. Expensive compared to the Amazon one the other guys linked. Not sure there's any real advantage to it.

I had it leftover from my 4th Gen truck. Back before the bypass was so cheap to find.

skyhawk42

Reaction score
On the 5th gen ram the koadtech may not be an advantage because the secure gateway is so easy to access, but on other vehicles the gateway is more difficult to access then the can bus connectors so I can see the advantages of it on those vehicles for sure

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have the koadtech adapter. Stays installed all the time. Expensive compared to the Amazon one the other guys linked. Not sure there's any real advantage to it.

I had it leftover from my 4th Gen truck. Back before the bypass was so cheap to find.
Mine stays plugged in too. Just tucked away

ocwill1

Reaction score
what are you all using for the OBD cable. I have an OBDLink EX from my 150 using Forscan, however it is not recognizing it. I am connecting to a Samsung galaxy tab with the usb c port..

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Seems like the OBDLink EX USB is compatible with alpha according to their site, although that might just be for windows. Not sure about Galaxy. Do you the SGW bypass cable installed?

ocwill1

Reaction score
Seems like the OBDLink EX USB is compatible with alpha according to their site, although that might just be for windows. Not sure about Galaxy. Do you the SGW bypass cable installed?

I thought so too. Yes have the bypass cable plugged in, OBDlink plugged into bypass and tried it on windows and android. Both say no device connected. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or not. Forscan was a lot easier, at least so far it is

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I thought so too. Yes have the bypass cable plugged in, OBDlink plugged into bypass and tried it on windows and android. Both say no device connected. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or not. Forscan was a lot easier, at least so far it is
Not sure. I’ve only ever used jscan since I’m on Apple, so I have to use Bluetooth. Hopefully someone can help

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I am assuming jscan lets you make changes as well. folding mirror on lock, tire size, etc???
It most of what alpha obd does. Not sure about folding mirrors on lock. That might be a tazer thing.

So far I’ve updated tire size, disabled fog light drop out with high beams, and changed my DRL location from the low beams to the turn signals.

Users who are viewing this thread