5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buzzing sound when opening door (before starting) or just being around the truck with fob in pocket

leftoutside

Reaction score
I happen to have the air suspension option on my truck, but Im wondering if this is in fact the fuel pump spinning up and not the air compressor? It normally wont let me adjust ride height unless the engine is started and doors are closed. Also, I dont see the truck moving up or down at all, and I doubt the computer would let the air comp activate without the fob in range and the Accessory button ON....further, most cars' fuel pumps routinely do the Ironman whine when opening a door. I guess Im wondering if I have a faulty fuel pump.

ShadowHawk

Reaction score
Could be the fuel pump, but could also be e-throttle body calibrating itself before you start the engine. Air compressor will make adjustments to the pressure in the tank/bags even with the truck off. but that's noticeably loud and comes from further from the back of the truck. if it's a high pitched electronic buzz/whine it's one of the former and not the latter.

FN-2187

Reaction score
I happen to have the air suspension option on my truck, but Im wondering if this is in fact the fuel pump spinning up and not the air compressor? It normally wont let me adjust ride height unless the engine is started and doors are closed. Also, I dont see the truck moving up or down at all, and I doubt the computer would let the air comp activate without the fob in range and the Accessory button ON....further, most cars' fuel pumps routinely do the Ironman whine when opening a door. I guess Im wondering if I have a faulty fuel pump.
My 2021 limited does the same thing. Pretty sure the truck is leveling itself out. I don't think it is the fuel pump, I think it is the air suspension. I only have 1400 miles on mine and it has done it since I brought it home new.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Drewster

Reaction score
It's the air suspension. especially if it sat for a while or you just hooked up a load, you can actually watch the suspension move when it does that.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The air suspension does not require the truck to be running for it to operate. There is even a button on the key fob to lower it to entry/exit. Truck does not need to be running for this to function. I've had mine adjust itself as I'm loading things into the bed with the truck not running. It can and does adjust itself without any input from you.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
It is 100% the truck self-adjusting the rear. I read in the manual somewhere that the truck adjusts itself for a "better looking" profile when parked. So what you are hearing is the truck either getting into this position or getting out of it. I hear it all the time as well as you describe.

Awood05

Reaction score
As already stated, it is the air suspension system. Our 21 Limited does the exactly same thing. Any time you “wake” it after sitting a while it will automatically level itself out. Takes some getting used to for sure.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is 100% the truck self-adjusting the rear. I read in the manual somewhere that the truck adjusts itself for a "better looking" profile when parked. So what you are hearing is the truck either getting into this position or getting out of it. I hear it all the time as well as you describe.

So my truck is posing? :eek: Must be why I heard that noise after parking by a pink Porsche... :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread