5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying used vs new

pMak26

Reaction score
In my case, I tried to buy new. For 3 months the dealer(s) and I were back and forth on getting what I wanted (I was pretty specific on what options I wanted). I considered just doing a custom build, but I didn't like the process - they can't tell you the final price of the vehicle until the car hits their lot, which is moronic in my opinion. So I kept my eye out on used market to see what was available. The perfect truck came up near me, so I jumped on it.

I know a lot of people are saying buy new, but I would have paid >$15k more for my ordered truck over what I got this one for lightly used (17k miles on it). The incentives on Laramie and Limited models are junk. Tradesman and Big Horn have way, way better incentives and I would say for those models buying new is going to be a better deal. If you want a Laramie or Limited, being patient and finding a lightly used one with all the options you want could yield significant savings over buying new.

hoodac78

Reaction score
Sounds like you got a pretty good deal but saying you saved 23 grand isn’t quite accurate. Very few people (anyone?) pay msrp for a new truck which is what the 85k would be.
I’m Canadian as well and the msrp on my truck was 90.5k. I paid 73k for it after manufacture rebates and negotiation at the dealer.
Yeah that is partly accurate. As a used vehicle, it was not eligible for any manufacturer rebates and whatnot. While there was some negotiation, there was not a whole lot of room for it.
Sounds like you did pretty well yourself with your truck...nice work!

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A couple things to note about new vs used. Disregard the current used market being inflated, making new a better choice today, but think about these...

A new vehicle, even with rebates, will depreciate once you drive it off the lot. Depending on the rebates, you may break even if you needed to sell in a year or two of ownership. But, you get a new vehicle, no scratches or dents, full warranty, etc. Any marks on it, are from you!

Buying a used vehicle is a crapshoot. Why is a 1 year old truck on a lot as used? Lemon? Manufacturer buy back? Owner trade due to issues, but didn't qualify for the previous two? You won't always know the answer. You could be buying the truck that a person wanted, but decided they needed a Hellcat instead. Now, you're saving on the depreciation costs that the first owner took a hit on, but it may come with unknown issues, scratches, or flaws that just rub you wrong.

Again, taking today's used truck pricing out of the equation, it's a 50/50 split on which is the better option. Save money and hope you're buying a good used product, or pay a higher price and get a new vehicle with the expectation that it will be flawless.

Ilmmct

Reaction score
Can’t add much to the already very good advise that has already been provided, but I went into my purchase with the plan to buy used exclusively. Once I found the truck I wanted (low miles, babied, right options), then I shopped 2 dealers with about same configuration on their lots (albeit 2 model years newer, since I bought a used 2019). I found the difference out-the-door between new and the truck I bought to be about $9k. I could not justify spending $9k more, since there are some mods I’d like to do and the $9k delta helps reduce spousal consternation for those.
Good luck on your purchase.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From what I have researched you will get a better value and return on investment from buying new. Used cars is where most dealerships make the most profit. Big ranges of blue book let them have lots of wiggle room to up the price. Starting with a base MSRP on the sticker levels the playing field.

I recommend buying new. I got $13,300 off MSRP on my purchase.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I won't advocate either way. My one son bought a used 2018 Laramie last year, one owner with 49K on it, and it's been perfect (until last week when the battery died). Two and three year old vehicles could be on the market because they just came off lease.

Thinking back over the years, however, most that I recall traded a vehicle in early because of unresolved issues. I know this violates the conventional wisdom, but I would be suspicious of a one or two year vehicle with exceptionally low miles for that reason.

Since I have two people I know personally that were looking for used Rams since November, I can tell you that around here used DTs (5th gen) Rams are almost non-existent, and used 4th gen Ram prices seem steep to me. Based on what you're looking for it might be advantageous to buy new.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045470 miles.

SpookyWatcher

Reaction score
If I hadn't bought new I would have bought the truck from either aviscarsales.com or enterprisecarsales.com Best used prices I ever saw while deciding between new and used. And a very nice selection from either depending on what you want. And airline tickets are so dirt cheap... you can look nationally and just go pick it up if you go the used route.

Ultimately I took advantage of employee pricing and Dec 30th date of purchase and bought new $47600 in Victorville for exactly what I wanted. I couldn't pass it up.

Best of luck!

SpookyWatcher

Einstein376

Reaction score
My 2019 truck was a two-year lease that ended and the lessee turned the truck in. Decent deal on a truck with the options I was after. Seems there was a lot of the trucks on short-term leases.

The deal worked for me since they offered more for the truck I had than I was going to privately sell it for.

FWIW,

Jim

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunately we're almost at the end of the run but the Built to Serve package may be perfect for you. Since they're built on the Big Horn trim package I've seen guys get them from 40-50k. I personally purchased mine for 49.5k from a 59.6k MSRP.

90% of the Built to Serve trucks come with everything you want.

junior9

Reaction score
I wonder how much is there a difference between used BMW cars in US and in Europe. I mean, if we talk about prices, and how much do they differ. When I need to know some truly low price offerings, I prefer to visit resource called "DriveAxis", and to look on all of the lists full of used vehicles, to compare prices and maybe even to visit any seller and check the condition of the car.

Last edited:

Choate

Reaction score
Leased truck purchased here. There were a bunch of them on Vroom. I had a smooth and great experience with them. Truck had 25k miles on it and was a 2019. They were several thousand dollars less than Carvana for an almost identical truck. Ive done quite a bit of stuff to it but it was in excellent condition for a used truck. Couple little scratches that were touched up and one small door ding. I am pretty happy I went lightly used but it was a lot more than I really intended on spending. Purchased it around 3 months ago. Bighorn. Level 2 interior. 4x4. Hemi. Sport package w LED headlights and taillights. Can’t remember if that’s part of sport package or not. MOPAR Bed liner. Soft bed cover. 39k plus TTL. No trade. Straight up purchase

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread