5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying used 2019 vs 2020 vs 2021 Laramie/Limited

Stully

Reaction score
Hi,
Looking to get back into a Ram after I sold my 2009 Laramie 5 years ago. Have a young family and the biggest driving factor for the truck is we will be getting a smallish travel trailer (22-24 feet - 3800 to 4500 pounds)
I like the nicer interiors, audio, technology etc. I'm also keen on the Air suspension due to our towing need.
Mainly looking at low mile Limited Trims.
Is there any reason to pay a bit more for a 2020 or 2021 over a 2019. Obviously the lower prices are on the 2019's, but I could step up the purchase price if there is enough reason to.

Thanks for the input
Eric

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 2019s had a lot more growing pains, as shown by the tsbs and recalls. Even on 2022s I suggest replacing the 3rd brake light gasket (the 2021+ redesign is better than 19-20, but still flawed). Body bolts loose on some 19-20. My late build 2020 has been great except a few very minor things done under warranty.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
I guess it's hit or miss. I have a 2019 Longhorn that I bought in November 19 and have had zero issues with it. It was a "wednesday" build, so that could have alot to do with it, as they say "Monday" and "Friday" are not good days to have a vehicle built. There was one recall notice that was sent regarding the wiper arm nut torque but I took care of that myself.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I guess it's hit or miss. I have a 2019 Longhorn that I bought in November 19 and have had zero issues with it. It was a "wednesday" build, so that could have alot to do with it, as they say "Monday" and "Friday" are not good days to have a vehicle built. There was one recall notice that was sent regarding the wiper arm nut torque but I took care of that myself.
I can second a 2019 build, however mine was purchased November 2018. I had an issue with ANC (2 tries to get it fixed), brake squeal (2 tries also) and tailgate cable, all under warranty and TSBs, tailgate cable is not 100% right but OK functionally. One recall for brake pedal. No issue with 3rd brake light but being proactive I replaced the 3rd brake light and screws with the new versions, which has 2 seals and updated screws ($35 or so at time). The minor issues have been worked out.
Very happy with my purchase, over 30,000 miles.
Based on my experience I would not rule out a 2019.

Last edited:

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
bought my 19 Limited in spring of 2020. Couldn't be happier with it. Only thing that may be a big benefit to you is if you buy a 21, it may still be under full warranty, which is a pretty good reason to want it, but of course it will cost you a lot more than a 19. Good luck!

ben b

Reaction score
I believe if you buy a 2020 or 2021 you may be able to purchase a service contract from Stellantis. I would view this as insurance that the truck doesn't have excess problems.

Worth checking with one of the better CDRJ dealers mentioned on this site to see whether vehicle is eligible and how much.

Gregg

Reaction score
Hi,
Looking to get back into a Ram after I sold my 2009 Laramie 5 years ago. Have a young family and the biggest driving factor for the truck is we will be getting a smallish travel trailer (22-24 feet - 3800 to 4500 pounds)
I like the nicer interiors, audio, technology etc. I'm also keen on the Air suspension due to our towing need.
Mainly looking at low mile Limited Trims.
Is there any reason to pay a bit more for a 2020 or 2021 over a 2019. Obviously the lower prices are on the 2019's, but I could step up the purchase price if there is enough reason to.

Thanks for the input
Eric
I have a 2020 and have not had any build related issues, coming up on 30k miles.

While it's fun to build & price a new truck, going used can save some money (obviously) and allow you to really hone in on the features you want (w/o ordering a new truck). For me, I wanted a quad cab which is rarely in stock (let alone color, trim, etc.), so I waited and waited for a used one...

Stully

Reaction score
Finally test drove a local 2020 limited with e torque. was excellent. Had 54k miles though.....Did locate a 2021 limited with 32k miles for only $3k more. Its 2 hours away but going to go after that one.
Billet silver metallic night edition. Looks amazing. Excited to wrap this up and bring this thing home if it checks out well.

Users who are viewing this thread