5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying strategy....why not tell them you need a truck now?

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
One of the top rules is to not let the dealership know you need a new truck immediately
My thinking is if you told 5 dealerships you need a truck now and will buy from the one of the five with the best price, why would they not give the best deal as it would be a easy sell?

Usually when working with a dealership, they don't know if you will actually buy even if they offer a great deal, but if they know you will buy if they give you a great price, why would they not?

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
One of the top rules is to not let the dealership know you need a new truck immediately
My thinking is if you told 5 dealerships you need a truck now and will buy from the one of the five with the best price, why would they not give the best deal as it would be a easy sell?

Usually when working with a dealership, they don't know if you will actually buy even if they offer a great deal, but if they know you will buy if they give you a great price, why would they not?

I think either can work, but I think most of this is just games for us and not the dealer. With prices still being quite high, they know they can set the price and they know what is competitive.

They won't necessarily give you a great price because they can probably sell it higher tomorrow to a different buyer, so why is there incentive for them to take the hit with you?

If it's a product that doesn't sell fast/well, you have more leverage. Something as hot as a 1500 they know they'll sell one day or the next, doesn't matter what you personally do or not.

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
Makes perfect sense.
I actually do see that in other markets too.
Why sell it fast for less when I hold it long and sell it to someone else for more.

U

User_3336

They won't necessarily give you a great price because they can probably sell it higher tomorrow to a different buyer, so why is there incentive for them to take the hit with you?
that's certainly a risk the dealer takes. Might depend on sales quotas. If they have a deal on the table, then they have to make the judgement call. would suck if that vehicle is on the lot at the end of the month, and they passed thinking they'd get more later.

If it's a product that doesn't sell fast/well, you have more leverage. Something as hot as a 1500 they know they'll sell one day or the next, doesn't matter what you personally do or not.

Not all 1500's are as HOT as you might think. I've seen trim levels thought to be in high demand sit on the lots for months.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
my buying strategy with my other cars:
I email multiple dealers and tell them exactly what I want and the budget out the door I have. I tell them I do want what I listed and nothing more. I then tell them to give me a price, but I also let them know I am cross shopping and I will go to whoever offers the best deal.
After I get the responses, I take the lowest price offered to the highest, and then ask if they can beat it. If so, take that number and ask the next highest until I get the absolute lowest offer possible. That's how I figure out the lowest possible price.
Then, if the lowest price are close, I look at the entire interaction. I consider how pushy the sales representatives are and how the overall email experience is. Then I pick the one that's nicest to me. If there's an absolute low price that cannnot be beat by anyone else, then I ask them for pictures of the vehicle and purchase agreement. I make sure it's the exact car down to VIN and put down a deposit for them to hold the vehicle. Then I go in to complete the transaction.

However, when it comes to RAM, I skipped all that and got in touch with Mark Dodge in Lake Charles, LA. No one can beat their customer service and price. I repeat, NO ONE can beat them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online