5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying advice

MeanGene

Reaction score
So i have a 4runner and while it offers a great mix of features, we have a new property that will require an access to a trailer or a pickup bed. I don't want a trailer and have been looking at full size pick ups. I have 2 kids so I need the interior space as well. Outside of the Tundra, Silverado, Ram, and F150 all seem to get bad rep regarding reliability. I dont want a Tundra (its way outdated, bad MPG. and has rust issues). There are success stories across for Silverado, Ram and F150 of course but I want to make the safer bet here. The F150 looks too plan and I have to buy know so I can't get the 2021 model. The Silverado is ugly and the seats are terrible. I love the way the RAM drives but am concerned about build quality and reliability. This seems to be a central issue for FCA. I do love RAM's seats. What's your experience with the current gen? Any techs on here please chime in. I know that forums aplify complains but it really does seem like everywhere you go (TFL, savegeese, Scotty) people bash FCA vehicles. I'd be keeping this for 5-7 years.

Thank you

hoodac78

Reaction score
Hi Mean Gene. I have just bought my second Ram after having a Ford in between. I am a firm believer that every truck manufacturer will have it's issues, and you just need to find the vehicle that fits your budget and makes you the happiest. Every truck I've owned seemed to have something that needed to be corrected. Warranty is a beautiful thing. In any case, good luck and safe travels! Cheers.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As hoodac78 said, nobody's perfect. Even BMW, Mercedes, etc., have issues.

Get what you like that's in your budget. I'm coming from 20 years in the Ford truck camp and the last 11 in the HD diesel "club".

I've had some issues but they've all been addressed and I couldn't be happier. If I did it all over again tomorrow I would still get a RAM. Some things I've learned:

1. Make sure you know what you're getting! Check all the options to make sure they are there and are what you expect. Many assumed that the 5th gen tow mirrors were power-folding and heated like the 4th gen and HDs...but they weren't. Don't assume anything.

2. Get what you want. You can add your own nerf bars and the like but if you are adding to the OEM setup (bed lights, mirrors, passive entry, etc.) it is expensive to do or not possible so make sure you get the truck the way you want it.

3. FInd a dealership that has a good service department. It may not be the one you buy the truck at but service departments seem to be at both ends of the spectrum.

With trucks people get very passionate about their brand, usually about how much better theirs is than others, but they can also get passionate about things that go wrong so take it with a grain of salt.

They are all about the same quality (give or take a little) so find what you like for the price that you want and be happy with it. I did.

Happy hunting. (y)

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As hoodac78 said, nobody's perfect. Even BMW, Mercedes, etc., have issues.

Get what you like that's in your budget. I'm coming from 20 years in the Ford truck camp and the last 11 in the HD diesel "club".

I've had some issues but they've all been addressed and I couldn't be happier. If I did it all over again tomorrow I would still get a RAM. Some things I've learned:

1. Make sure you know what you're getting! Check all the options to make sure they are there and are what you expect. Many assumed that the 5th gen tow mirrors were power-folding and heated like the 4th gen and HDs...but they weren't. Don't assume anything.

2. Get what you want. You can add your own nerf bars and the like but if you are adding to the OEM setup (bed lights, mirrors, passive entry, etc.) it is expensive to do or not possible so make sure you get the truck the way you want it.

3. FInd a dealership that has a good service department. It may not be the one you buy the truck at but service departments seem to be at both ends of the spectrum.

With trucks people get very passionate about their brand, usually about how much better theirs is than others, but they can also get passionate about things that go wrong so take it with a grain of salt.

They are all about the same quality (give or take a little) so find what you like for the price that you want and be happy with it. I did.

Happy hunting. (y)
Couldn't have said it better myself. Good luck in your truck search!

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I dont want a Tundra (its way outdated, bad MPG. and has rust issues).

+1000. They have a reliability rep over most others somehow, but I used to know more than a couple Tundra owners that had their trucks in just as much, if not more, to the dealerships for issues than my friends who owned Ram/Chevy/Ford. That and they're expensive, Toyota doesn't usually give you much for incentives, from what I've seen. I saw a Toyota dealership once offering $2k off MSRP, and they kinda had the "and you're welcome" attitude.

The F150 looks too plan and I have to buy know so I can't get the 2021 model.

The 2021 model has mixed reviews so far (cosmetically), and it is a major refresh. I like it a lot at certain angles, but at some (e.g. when looking at it straight on), I don't. Personal preference.
There is also the whole "don't buy the first year of a major refresh" idea that isn't necessarily a bad one. I've also seen Ford's infotainment ideas around their larger screens in their new Explorers and other models. They do a really decent job with the dash display, but the infotainment is another story. They don't utilize the screen space very well, almost like the software is sometimes half baked, and I'm afraid that those ideas will carry over to the 2021 F-150.

The Silverado is ugly and the seats are terrible.

+1 for the ugly. The GMCs are not bad looking, but I cannot stand the Chevrolets. They also have a long ways to go to catch up to Ford and Ram in interior quality.

I love the way the RAM drives but am concerned about build quality and reliability. This seems to be a central issue for FCA. I do love RAM's seats. What's your experience with the current gen? Any techs on here please chime in. I know that forums aplify complains but it really does seem like everywhere you go (TFL, savegeese, Scotty) people bash FCA vehicles. I'd be keeping this for 5-7 years.

Please refer to brian42's post above. He did most of the work here, couldn't agree more with his post.

Good luck! Whichever you choose, please keep us updated. No judging here (unless you buy a Tundra ;)).

stevept

Reaction score
So i have a 4runner and while it offers a great mix of features, we have a new property that will require an access to a trailer or a pickup bed. I don't want a trailer and have been looking at full size pick ups. I have 2 kids so I need the interior space as well. Outside of the Tundra, Silverado, Ram, and F150 all seem to get bad rep regarding reliability. I dont want a Tundra (its way outdated, bad MPG. and has rust issues). There are success stories across for Silverado, Ram and F150 of course but I want to make the safer bet here. The F150 looks too plan and I have to buy know so I can't get the 2021 model. The Silverado is ugly and the seats are terrible. I love the way the RAM drives but am concerned about build quality and reliability. This seems to be a central issue for FCA. I do love RAM's seats. What's your experience with the current gen? Any techs on here please chime in. I know that forums aplify complains but it really does seem like everywhere you go (TFL, savegeese, Scotty) people bash FCA vehicles. I'd be keeping this for 5-7 years.

Thank you
Last November I traded a 2105 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 6.2 for a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. The GMC I owned was the worst vehicle in terms of quality I've ever owned. The transmission was clunky at low speeds, at approx 50K miles one of the engine lifters failed which took the truck out of commission for 2 weeks to be repaired, failed leaking magnetic shocks @ 2 grand total, etc. I read all the reviews online and the awards the Ram 1500 has received. I test drove a new 2019 GMC Denali 1500 and the Ram 1500 Limited. Once you drive the Ford, GMC, Chevy and Tundra there is no comparison compared to the fit and finish they put into the Ram. I only have 19K miles to date and not a single issue. Time will tell but it's a solid, quiet, extremely luxurious truck. The air suspension, full size pano sunroof is GREAT. The most useful feature believe it or not is the RAM BOX option. The very best feature I've had on any car/SUV/Truck I've owned. Additional options: reclining rear seats, heated and cooled front and rear seats and adaptive cruise control that works PERFECT. My concerns: Long term reliability is an issue with ALL American trucks. I have friends who own Tundras with 180 plus thousand miles. Toyota Tundras are great trucks and will last year after year. If you plan on owning a truck for 10 years or more and plan on putting on maintenance-free miles year after year I'm not sure if the Ford, GMC, Chevy or RAM is the right truck for you. The Tundra seems like a good fit but I agree its outdated and needs a major re-fresh. Toyota should consider a luxury pickup based on the Lexus luxury platform

Paultg

Reaction score
I just picked up my new 2020 Ram 1500 yesterday. I felt concerned about buying a Ram initially after reading on here myself.
1. I looked closer at the longer threads and many are from back in 2018 when the trucks first came out.
2. From reading on here no one seems to be complaining about FCA or the dealer not fixing things, just the fact that they had a problem.
3. This forum only represents a rain drop in a large bucket of owners / trucks sold. There are 10x the owners out there who are driving with a smile on their face.

With that in mind I use the info here as knowledge only to keep a look out for; and feel pretty confident that if an issue occurs with my truck I can get assistance here, find others with similar issues, and hopefully not have a problem with the repairs at a local dealer. I'm in sales myself, stuff happens, and when it does it's all about how the problem is handled.

I'd be much more worried if the folks on here were posting they had all these issues and FCA was fighting warranty claims.

Users who are viewing this thread