5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying a used ecoDiesel: advice?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Folks,

I bought a new 2021 Laramie ecoDiesel. Absolutely love it.

I helped my son buy a new 2022 Big Horn ecoDiesel. He absolutely loves it. (He'd had a 2007 Hemi, bought used and then totaled.)

Now, my brother-in-law wants to buy one. He's coming from several different Hemi's. He's in the market for a used truck.

What year(s) would you advise him to look for? Anything he should be aware of? (A half-ton is what he needs. He runs a painting business, so racks and ladders are a standard fitment.)

Thanks.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely 2019+ with the 3rd gen engine. Other than that, it will be hard to tell if the powertrain and scr has been abused. I think you can recall how many regens have been done, and that might give an indicator of fuel quality, but could also just mean the truck saw a lot of stop-and-go or idling. Getting one low mileage with a good service history helps some, but can’t alleviate all concerns.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Advice now?

Wait until 2024. Prices are out of control. The used car PPI was up over 30% for the year and diesel is out of control worse than gas.

Users who are viewing this thread