5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying 2019 Ram from Canada

Fuel_Sport

Reaction score
Hey everyone this is my first post on this forum. I live in North Dakota so I’m right on the Canadian border. I currently have a 2014 ram Sport 1500 I bought from Canada and saved a decent amount of money from the exchange rate. Only problem I had buying from Canada was of course the gauges is km but i was able to switch the digital gauge so it didn’t bother me much. Also I could use the feature such as starting my pickup off my phone since it was from Canada. Does anyone know if this has changed with the 2019s? Or will I still not have this feature? I’m looking at the sports in Canada as i really like that they already have the blacked out badges. Only thing I wish I could find is a sport with 12” screen but hoping someone will figure out the swap from the 8.4 to the 12. Any other reasons I shouldn’t buy from Canada? I heard rumors that you don’t get warranty bringing it from Canada but that wasn’t the case on my 14 as I had things warrentied no problem. Also I’ll attach some picture’s of my 14 ram. If I get a 19 I’ll be doing something similar to it!

Attachments

• 64C66B28-48FA-4E5C-B5E4-05CCFFD3A163.jpeg
    64C66B28-48FA-4E5C-B5E4-05CCFFD3A163.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 7D93ABE5-0163-446F-B1F7-EB92B56231B9.jpeg
    7D93ABE5-0163-446F-B1F7-EB92B56231B9.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 18
  • B84F4B42-4A0F-4D73-AB9E-B313A79ED404.jpeg
    B84F4B42-4A0F-4D73-AB9E-B313A79ED404.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 20
  • A45E19AC-4C4A-4D14-A249-CAC56863912A.jpeg
    A45E19AC-4C4A-4D14-A249-CAC56863912A.jpeg
    850.1 KB · Views: 20

19Jake

Reaction score
Did you purchase the '14 new or used?

Bram2019

Reaction score
I am reasonably sure on the newer models the truck has to be registered with Canadian plates to get warranty service done other than recalls maybe. I am not positive but I think if you buy it in Canada and register it in North Dakota, you may need to go to Canada for warranty work. Some weird thing FCA does to stop people from importing into US and registering in US. This is only a warranty repair issue.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you want a 12" UConnect, I'd buy one. Attempting a swap of that nature will likely be a royal PiTA (if it's even possible).

oceanviewer

Reaction score
There are laws that all manufacturers (not just FCA) have regarding exporting vehicles outside of either country, and they will ding the dealer by either taking away future allocation and also huge fines. Some dealers might sell to you across the border but most will not. They will also do the same for dealers selling to brokers.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are laws that all manufacturers (not just FCA) have regarding exporting vehicles outside of either country, and they will ding the dealer by either taking away future allocation and also huge fines. Some dealers might sell to you across the border but most will not. They will also do the same for dealers selling to brokers.
Um. The term Laws is very incorrect, these companies have policies to screw the public to suit themselves. The govt which has Laws have importation standards. Please do not try to scare people to utilize importation abilities.

oceanviewer

Reaction score
Um. The term Laws is very incorrect, these companies have policies to screw the public to suit themselves. The govt which has Laws have importation standards. Please do not try to scare people to utilize importation abilities.
You are correct. I should have said franchise laws. But they are put in place to protect everyone including customers, dealers and states. The Monroney Label for every new vehicle states they are for sale only in the country listed on same.

Doc

Reaction score
Legitimate question what if one person moves from one country to another?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

oceanviewer

Reaction score
Legitimate question what if one person moves from one country to another?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
In that case you have to deal with the federal import laws and then the state laws. It is difficult but not impossible. Most people leave behind their vehicle by selling it and buy new when they have moved. I am not an expert just my two cents.

Reactions: Doc

Fuel_Sport

Reaction score
Buying vehicles from Canada has become almost a normal thing in my area now. For Ford and Chevy you need a letter from them stating it abides by both Canada and US laws. Then you can import them. For dodge they have a sticker right on the pickup proving it already does. So when i bought my 14 all I needed was proof that i purchased it, no other papers. My 2014 I bought used because I wanted to avoid paying Canadian tax and then pay tax again when I import it. But now I have had friends who bought from dealers and they got around paying the Canadian tax. Alot of dealers say you have to, but in the end theirs ways around it. As for warranty I was also told it would not transfer to the US on my 2014 also. I had some problems with my pickup and brought it in and to my surprised they warrantied all the work. I don't know how it would be for the 2019s though. Sounds like I have some research to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online