5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying 1st truck - advice on bed length

I unfortunately have the crew cab with the 6.5ft bed. This has a factory 2-piece driveshaft that I believe has failed for the second time in 3 years.

Apologies if this topic has been beaten to death. I’m new to the forum and the truck community at large.

I’ve never owned a truck and am set on buying a CPO 1500 laramie crew cab. I found one that seems perfect, but I am torn because it has the 6’4” bed, which I understand is rare with the crew cab.

I am weighing the trade offs between the utility of a larger bed and the potential unwieldy size when it comes to everyday driving. I live in the suburbs and don’t need a truck for work or hauling, but rather for recreational activities like hunting, road trips with three kids and all our crap, and the occassional trip to Lowe’s/HD.

I know the differences on paper, but would love to hear thoughts on the real differences in driving experience between a 5’7 and 6’4. Is it significant? Just a matter of getting used to?

And again, apologies if this topic has been drained. Thanks in advance.
So I have the 6’4” bed after having a 5’7” bed both crew cabs. I love having the longer bed and it’s honestly a night and day difference in the amount of cargo you can have. Now I will say if I didn’t drive a large vehicle for a living it would be challenging making some turns with the longer bed especially as these are already a big truck and parking in parking lots can be a challenge. In the end it comes down to what you like and what you need. You’re spending a hell of a lot of money on this thing anyways, get what makes you happy and meets your needs! One thing would strongly recommend no matter what you do is get the 33 gallon tank. I kick myself in the jewels every time on a road trip for it.

Last edited:
Apologies if this topic has been beaten to death. I’m new to the forum and the truck community at large.

I’ve never owned a truck and am set on buying a CPO 1500 laramie crew cab. I found one that seems perfect, but I am torn because it has the 6’4” bed, which I understand is rare with the crew cab.

I am weighing the trade offs between the utility of a larger bed and the potential unwieldy size when it comes to everyday driving. I live in the suburbs and don’t need a truck for work or hauling, but rather for recreational activities like hunting, road trips with three kids and all our crap, and the occassional trip to Lowe’s/HD.

I know the differences on paper, but would love to hear thoughts on the real differences in driving experience between a 5’7 and 6’4. Is it significant? Just a matter of getting used to?

And again, apologies if this topic has been drained. Thanks in advance.
Get the long bed! I wish we did so we could have put our mountain bikes back there standing up.👍🏻😏

I unfortunately have the crew cab with the 6.5ft bed. This has a factory 2-piece driveshaft that I believe has failed for the second time in 3 years.
I would say the failure is probably more to do with bearing quality than it being a 2 piece drive shaft. There are a lot of medium and heavy duty trucks as well as 3/4 ton pickups out there that have 2 and 3 piece drive shafts. Not all bearings and universals are created equally I can sure tell you that. Worst bearings I have ever gotten before came from auto value, auto, zone etc. I use only timken and skf bearings

I would say the failure is probably more to do with bearing quality than it being a 2 piece drive shaft. There are a lot of medium and heavy duty trucks as well as 3/4 ton pickups out there that have 2 and 3 piece drive shafts. Not all bearings and universals are created equally I can sure tell you that. Worst bearings I have ever gotten before came from auto value, auto, zone etc. I use only timken and skf bearings
The driveshaft is indeed bad again in a little over two years. And the "quality" Mopar parts only have a 2 year warranty. Luckily, I bought the extended warranty and only have to pay a deductible.

I gotta dump this truck ASAP.

The driveshaft is indeed bad again in a little over two years. And the "quality" Mopar parts only have a 2 year warranty. Luckily, I bought the extended warranty and only have to pay a deductible.

I gotta dump this truck ASAP.
Wow, that’s unbelievable. I have found over the years some dealerships will sell you genuine Mopar parts but I found out they were just using car quest parts. I happened to be in the parts store for work when the dealers parts man came in to get the parts for my truck. That was the end of me paying for genuine OEM parts.

I'm on my third short bed half ton, previous two were F150's. I bought the latest Ram about 5 months ago and passed on one that had the longer bed. There was one in my area that had the options I wanted. Ended up passing on it because I don't really need the extra cargo space and figure it would be a problem in parking lots.

I'm on my third short bed half ton, previous two were F150's. I bought the latest Ram about 5 months ago and passed on one that had the longer bed. There was one in my area that had the options I wanted. Ended up passing on it because I don't really need the extra cargo space and figure it would be a problem in parking lots.
Breaks my heart to read this story.

Breaks my heart to read this story.

I bought it for towing and as a DD and family vehicle. Also because I wanted the last V8 that I'll probably own. I rarely have much in the bed. In the 5 months I've had it, it's been used for a few home depot trips, never nearing 50% capacity. The only thing appealing about the longer bed was it increases towing capacity a bit, but not really needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back