5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying 1st truck - advice on bed length

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
If the truck you are looking at buying has the 6.4 bed do the following tests/exercises:
  • Go and make U-turns at various intersections - see if you are comfortable to make these turns
  • Go to a mall parking lot and try parking/car lot at the dealership works as well
  • If you have a garage measure its depth and height vs. the truck being purchased
  • Load the entire family and go for a ride, and make sure everyone is comfortable
  • Loading height is a big deal if you are going to carry items in the bed
  • Parking garages try using and parking in a few
  • Think of other potential/common driving maneuvers/activities that the truck will need to perform
I have a Laramie with the 5.7 but I needed a truck quickly my wife's van died so there was not much to time or to decide or look. The 5.7 bed meets my needs 95% of the time and the rest of the time I have hauled with the tailgate down and spent lots of time to secure the load well.

Good luck with the decision and welcome you will find lots of information here to study and learn from.

BlueHemi1500

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Maybe only a few care but its hard to find an ultra light truck camper to fit the shortbed, not that 1500’s can carry a camper anyway.

Years ago there used to be smaller no nose 6’ campers but they've gone the way of the dodo bird.

Sure you can get a nice fiberglass canopy in either length.

I bought the short bed cause thats all they had. I agree that the 9” really doesnt make parking harder, it does help with carrying lumber or other items like bikes. It does “balance” the look of the truck well, if you are into looks.

Overall, 1500 trucks seem to be more overpriced station wagons now.
Oh, I guess most readers here never rode in a SW… 🙄
1723037353649.jpeg

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Attachments

• Allroad 1.jpg
    Allroad 1.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 8

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Looks are subjective. I think the short bed makes the truck look more balanced. 🤷‍♂️

I ride in a station wagon just about every day :D...
Yep, there are a precious few left.
My first was a 56’ Buick Century wagon. 322 V8, factory air, PS, PB, PW, PS, Dynaflow transmission, got 15-20 mpgs. We have not improved that much in nearly 70 years.
The front bumper weighed about half what my Prius did…

GM26J

Reaction score
I like the combo of the Quad cab and the longer bed. Looks right, east to load longer lumber, and parking isn't an issue. The only question is back seat room enough for the size of kids. Might try taking them along to jump in the rear seats of a Quad cab. It's honestly a decent amount of room.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I like the combo of the Quad cab and the longer bed. Looks right, east to load longer lumber, and parking isn't an issue. The only question is back seat room enough for the size of kids. Might try taking them along to jump in the rear seats of a Quad cab. It's honestly a decent amount of room.
You will also want to consider that kids grow LOL. They might fit fine now, but, depending on their age, they might out grow the space in just a couple of years. This exact scenario happened to a friend of mine.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've sat in the back of a quad cab, definitely not what I'd consider a "decent amount" of room

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I Think that whether a quad cab offers enough space is dependent on what it’s for…

For a quick trip to the store? School drop off? Etc. probably.

If it’s your road trip machine, no one will be happy back there. Kids in car seats won’t fit (I tried) and while legroom is better than expected, the seat back is so upright older folks will tire of it quickly.

As a kid I spent lots of hours and miles crammed into the back of an extended cab pickup with siblings. There’s better options today.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’d go 6’4” Crew cab. Unless parking in your garage is going to be an issue. Skip the quad altogether.

Function > Form.. the side profile still looks good on both although the portion of the 5’7” look slightly better.

Had the 6’4” bed had the rambox option on a 1500 I would have went that route myself and enjoyed the extra space in the bed with my everyday use. Between the Retrax canister taking up space, jobbox, cooler and tote I carry when on the road i have no additional space.

Users who are viewing this thread